Let me know your progress in this issue. I might be the next. Unf, I don't have N800 to wait.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I will; I mailed it the slow way (not that long, though), but I'll let you know how long it takes after FedEx's online tracking announces its arrival so you'll at least know how much pain you might be in for.

Ack, that bites... I was trying to come up with ways of working around my N810 being down before I remembered I had my N800 still and realized it's amazing how thoroughly these ITs get integrated into your life.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Here is my report on sending it in:
I mailed it on the 20th, slowest and cheapest shipping option. It arrived on the 28th, was listed as waiting for parts on the 3rd of the next month, and was listed as shipped on the 4th. They used USPS Priority mail, and it just arrived today, on the 6th. In total, it took 2 weeks and five days, but part of that is the time it took to arrive.

Also, their site updated the various dates the day after -- like, I found out on the 29th that it had arrived on the 28th, and so on.

The part they replaced was listed as "DISPLAY/LED" #4850070. I had reflashed it before sending it off as part of my repair attempts, so I am not sure if they reflashed it, but everything else about the unit was the same, so I know it is the same one.

They also added back the original peel-off screen protector.

It seems like it took forever! It's nothing compared to the *3 year* epic some people have gone through, though.; they only took a week to fix it, and everything else was shipping time. I am glad I had my N800 to tide me over!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
I also gave up, when nothing ( slapping etc) can help. I send it few days ago by priority mail. I reflashed nothing thus I have some concerns that they may claim that I install something that hurts the device. Anyway it is arrived yesterday to them and I am waiting...

Let me share my experience which is very similar. I sent my N810
(without battery) on June 2 by priority mail. They got it in a couple days, reported like
on June 6. They send me it back on June 12 and I got it on June 14.
The same part was replaced. It seems ok now.

What is interesting I did not lose any data during these 12 days. The only
thing I have to set when it came back was time and date. All other setting, applications etc were fine.

Finally (if everything will work) it does not seem so bad.

i had the same issue- it took 2 weeks for them to replace my n810- i received a a different unit

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Well mine died temporarily today
PANIC
removed battery etc. no workee
removed my screen protector which I slip under the bezel, it WORKs.
I've been using the screen protectors slipped under the bezel since November, First time that happened.
I'd suggest if your screen stops working make sure under the bezel is clean.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chandler, AZ, USA
My touchscreen seems to have boarded the failboat as well. Touchscreen was acting erratic, had to recalibrate it every time I opened or unlocked it, and then I noticed that if i pushed it closed with the righthand side of the screen it would work. After about 2 days of that mess it stopped responding altogether, not even any tick sounds when you tap the screen. No screen protector and nothing under the bezel as I used a small piece of cardstock to clean all that mess out. So it's looking like I'm gonna be stuck using my centro for a few weeks and having to use one of my PCs when I'm at home now. Sad times.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Aachen, Germany
I have exactly the same problem. Hitting the n810 worked for a short time, but cannot possibly be the solution for the problem.

I will try to contact Nokia support and see what they say. I live in Germany, and repairs seem to be a lot more complicated here...

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I am just about to send my N810 away with the exact same symptoms as listed in this thread. I tried removing my screen protector - no joy. For about a week I was able to delay the inevitable by squeezing on the right-hand side with the keyboard closed. Now, no response opened, closed, or half-way.

One thing I am concerned about is the possibility of this reoccurring after my warranty period is over. I imagine this would not be an excessively expensive repair, but having to do it a couple of times out of warranty would be hard to justify, cost-wise.

Has anyone been able to get a feeling from the repair people about whether this is just a problem with early units, or a batch of parts, or just general wear? I had a clamshell Zaurus before the Nokia, and I had to replace a ribbon cable but that was after a few years.