Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Can you try that cable on another device to see if the cable is in fact good?

I have no other micro usb devices but I will ask around.

I don't want to steal your thread but I have posted the same problem in the "upgrading" section of the forums and have gotten no response as of yet. The post can be found here.

I am in the same situation. I do not have the original cable, and have tried with three different cables on 4 different computers (2 linux, 1 vista, 1 xp) and the device isn't detected on any of them.

I'll be following this thread closely and hope to add my own input as I try to resolve the issue.

I just spoke to a really helpful nokia customer service person, unlike the less than knowledgeable ones before, who stated that he know for sure that the nokia cable has different pin layout compared to a standar cable. In addition he advised that I not use the other cable because that has been known to damage n810s. So good luck. I have received a genuine nokia cable at home and I will try it tonight and post the results. Howeve, lets hope my prvious tries have not fried my n810.

I'm just curious how much "different" the wiring within the cable can actually be... Usb is only 4 wires. Power, ground, Data (+), and Data (-).

USB pinouts

I'm anxious to hear the results using the manufacturers cable.

Edit: Here's another related thread that claims the OEM cable must be used: link

Last edited by mikespug; 2009-03-12 at 19:08.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I really hope it's not true that only the Nokia-branded cable will work. I dislike proprietary cables as it's a pain if they break or you lose them, and one reason I got the NIT was because it used (or so I thought) standard cables.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Well the good news is that after you have the lastest update all other updates can be done over WIFI.

correct?

Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Well the good news is that after you have the lastest update all other updates can be done over WIFI.

correct?
Correct. The trouble is, for people like me, that if you play around with one too many settings and the device won't boot...well...you're in trouble if you don't have the original cable. Or so I hope...

It was the cable. I got a nokia ca-101 and windows vista and the update wizard found my n810 and updates successfully. It is unfortunate that nokia has to play this game. Thanks for everyone's posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to med For This Useful Post:
That is unfortunate, but explains why a "nokia cable driver" is installed on windows pc's alongside the internet tablet update software. It is encouraging to know, though, that the trouble I've been having is NOT the tablet itself... I have a cable on order and hope to have the same luck as you. Thanks for the update.