"I got my hands on the #Librem5 Phone!" - Linux Gamer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1haFGa7ZyPs

I can't wait!!
This is like waiting Christmas again. Haven't had this feeling for loooooong time.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
I can't wait!!
This is like waiting Christmas again. Haven't had this feeling for loooooong time.
I have the same fever. Hope I will get it mid of November or beginning of December, then I have time to play with it because I will take my holiday from last year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

I can't wait!!
Good that Linux gamer got it first with all that free marketing he give purism at his podcasts. He is too much of a fanboy IMHO but deserves it more than me or anyone else.

I signed up for the 3 or 4 batch that means I will receive it around Q2 next year so lets see what happens. I don't care that much since I realize I am actually fine with my sony with SFOS.

Next thing I hope is that some of the plasma guys get a phone as soon as possible so they can improve plasma mobile since I prefer to run QML apps + Rust on my phone instead of reinwheet my SFOS apps in a language from 1970's....

Btw Todd is smart he knows eactly how o marketing. BUT Librem is not that good to deliver for example their laptops is a real overpriced joke. Whatever they say about privacy they do NOT convince me. For example Why on earth does the latest revision still not have DP out!? The Intel chip support it but still rev 4 of the HW does not have 4K 60Hz DP port.

looking at the video the same time I write this respond and linux gamer "game changer" he is to much of a fanboy grow up for got sake its is just yet another toy.

And btw. Todd give him some money for got sake he deserves it. He is you free marketing guy for got sake!!!

And btw Jolla needs Todd. I mean seriously you can do all what Linux gamer says on SFOS too. Phosh is a joke compared to SFOS and plasmamobile(even beta).

I guess Americans does not now much about SFOS.... Cause no one marketing it there...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-10-11 at 19:40.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
It doesn't even have a file browser yet!
I think I'll wait another year 'til they perfect everything, then get a Pinephone and install Pure OS on that.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we have it, Purism are doing great work here, but...
they're not the first and not the only ones doing this.
OK, I'll give them the kill switches.
But GNU/Linux-based phones - as we here know best, there's actually quite a lot of that around, and has been for a long while...
OK, they say this is completely open - is it though? Where are the reviewers that aren't wetting their pants with excitement, but really rolling up their sleeves to get into that OS? Can I really just "apt-get install whateveriwant"?

Todd Weaver's self-appraising navel-gazing speech is hard to stomach in this video.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Mike, I like your down to earth perspective, wich have learned in the past is needed when anticipating a new OS/Device.

10yrs of waiting since Nokia "connecting people" let the world seriously down, finally pissing in their own pants for some temporary warmth in the winter. In terms of mobile communication the world hasn't been more scattered over several voip / chat applications and the ones of mass choice are clearly overseas nation's data miner tools.

However not sure if I agree SFOS is the right choice or equal.
About the technicalities I am not well enough informed but in my remote understanding, the advantage of the Purism OS on the Librem 5 over the Jolla Sailifsh OS (SFOS) is that Purism OS gets rid of the underlying Android hardware driver (libhybris?) compatbility requirement that forever binds Sailfish to Android development and limits it to support potentiall "certified", read compromised hardware.

Any alternative mobile OS would be fine for me even if it could do less out of the box.
Main requirements don't change.

It's a mobile phone. "We" need communication first then play. From a hub. ALL sensible protocols (Jolla drop that web browser and get on with SIP!) Then maybe a good webbrowser, VPN implementation.

Librem 5 phone getting better like a good Wine is some promise I could invest 700 global credits in, against instinct and suppose I had the money jumping in my pocket.

To know when it doesn't get any better and start enjoying what you have instead of looking out for the next and better.

It's love & hate with Jolla Sailfish OS in 2019.
F.E. trying to configure server & join IRC #maemo-lest channel on my Xperia X hung & rebooted the Sailfish OS.
Amazing because I keep my phone pretty clean basic, no mods and no plenitude of apps just looking for basic user convenience.
Quick positive about Sailifsh OS: I really like the transparent efficiency of the VPN service implementation which they recently updated.

But why is it that I expect at least stability to be better on the Purism phone?

Now, if somebody has a clue how to reach the Linux gamer guy on his favorite channel, facebook, twitter, yt or ...? Please ask him to compare Sailfish OS with his new dream baby Made in USA.

The guy might have an objective point about the display quality though. I like the sound of that.

have a good day all..

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Good that Linux gamer got it first with all that free marketing he give purism at his podcasts. He is too much of a fanboy IMHO but deserves it more than me or anyone else.

I signed up for the 3 or 4 batch that means I will receive it around Q2 next year so lets see what happens. I don't care that much since I realize I am actually fine with my sony with SFOS.

Next thing I hope is that some of the plasma guys get a phone as soon as possible so they can improve plasma mobile since I prefer to run QML apps + Rust on my phone instead of reinwheet my SFOS apps in a language from 1970's....

Btw Todd is smart he knows eactly how o marketing. BUT Librem is not that good to deliver for example their laptops is a real overpriced joke. Whatever they say about privacy they do NOT convince me. For example Why on earth does the latest revision still not have DP out!? The Intel chip support it but still rev 4 of the HW does not have 4K 60Hz DP port.

looking at the video the same time I write this respond and linux gamer "game changer" he is to much of a fanboy grow up for got sake its is just yet another toy.

And btw. Todd give him some money for got sake he deserves it. He is you free marketing guy for got sake!!!

And btw Jolla needs Todd. I mean seriously you can do all what Linux gamer says on SFOS too. Phosh is a joke compared to SFOS and plasmamobile(even beta).

I guess Americans does not now much about SFOS.... Cause no one marketing it there...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
More librem discussion on Linux gamer podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WbNN_DvZs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Just saw the video! Boy, I'm really stoked! Lol. Who needs a file browser anyways! We're linux folks. We just type ls! And if you are sophisticated, maybe ls - ltr. The problem with sailfish not catching in US is, until xperia, couldn't use internet unless on wifi. Jolla is developing more ties going east of them and not west. I gave up. And I bought their first phone and tablet. On the other hand, I don't fault the good people of Jolla. They did what they had to do and make the best of circumstances, but I had to move on... Librem has a long ways to go but I see much growth potential, especially if it catches on with the "community".

Last edited by mscion; 2019-10-12 at 14:41.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Just saw the video! Boy, I'm really stoked! Lol. Who needs a file browser anyways! We're linux folks. We just type ls! And if you are sophisticated, maybe ls - ltr.
If you can shell in to the modem terminal then you don't even really need a dialer interface, just grep thru your address book and pipe the number to ATDT and get talking, right?

(I did do this on the N900 once.)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Yes! Yes! Yes! (In response to robthebold's last post... )

Last edited by mscion; 2019-10-12 at 19:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Hmmm... So maybe nobody ordered Aspen?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: