Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@karry - great work, thank you very much! This is surely a step in the right direction!

I have just published a new release: 0.5.0

This release addresses the GUI shortcoming highlighted by @Feathers McGraw:
  • its possible to specify units (Metric or Imperial). Since we use only km and mi., there is no need to separate british from american, as far as I understand
  • to select the map (and few other settings), you are shown directory or file selection dialog. Should work for SD cards as well.

Unfortunately, my changes break the Spanish translation in few places. Maybe we will get an update a bit later and I'll publish new point releases.

If there are some other requirements with GUI, let me know. For me, its OK and I am planning to focus on some aspects of the library. There were suggestions by @otsaloma that were given early on and I'd like to see what I can improve.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
@rinigus, I tested v.5 with Poor Maps.
- Great work, but it's not simple for ordinary user for this moment to import maps. NokiaMaps for N9 is good exemple for me.
- I need 2 districts - ural and volga. I haven't problem with ural-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf, but I don't see map after import from volga-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf(I configured path for server). And I see in folder 186.5MB instead 359.9MB for volga-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf. Or it's good?
- is it possible to navigate between 2 districts?

The Following User Says Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
@rinigus, I tested v.5 with Poor Maps.
- Great work, but it's not simple for ordinary user for this moment to import maps. NokiaMaps for N9 is good exemple for me.
- I need 2 districts - ural and volga. I haven't problem with ural-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf, but I don't see map after import from volga-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf(I configured path for server). And I see in folder 186.5MB instead 359.9MB for volga-fed-district-latest.osm.pbf. Or it's good?
- is it possible to navigate between 2 districts?
Thank you!

Sure, import of the maps can be improved. As you could see from yesterday's post by @karry, he is working on it . See also earlier discussion between @karry and @MartinK on the subject. We could expect that the devices would be able to download maps directly from some server, but there maybe some time before it will be up and running.

So, at present, an ordinary user would have to download maps to PC, drag-and-drop them on importer tool, and transfer imported folders to device. I think its reasonably simple and, taking into account that @karry's work, there is no point in making fancy GUI on PC side of things.

Re Ural and Volga: I tried to import Volga district and it leads to 328MB folder. When moved to device, all worked fine. So, I think something went wrong during import or while you copied to the device. Note that you should have got all the files that you have for Ural, maybe something is missing. If the importer finishes with such small import, please tell me what OS do you use, importer version, and maybe you could also provide Importer output? Otherwise its hard to debug the issue.

Routing between 2 maps is not possible (yet). What you can do is to join the regions that you are interested in. Use OSM-provided tools for that, as explained at https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server#maps . In particular, look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...lel_Processing

You may consider to reduce the maps to the part that you actually use using osmconvert.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Nov 2016 @ Prague
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Thank you!
... What you can do is to join the regions that you are interested in.
Btw, you can define more OSM (osm.pbf) files for one import. When they are overlapping, routing should be possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karry View Post
Btw, you can define more OSM (osm.pbf) files for one import. When they are overlapping, routing should be possible.
@karry - thanks for a tip, didn't know that! Note that the import script that is distributed with pre-compiled importer is not aware of that. So, I don't think it would work with it and the included import executable would have to be called directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@karry - great work, thank you very much! This is surely a step in the right direction!

I have just published a new release: 0.5.0

This release addresses the GUI shortcoming highlighted by @Feathers McGraw:
  • its possible to specify units (Metric or Imperial). Since we use only km and mi., there is no need to separate british from american, as far as I understand
  • to select the map (and few other settings), you are shown directory or file selection dialog. Should work for SD cards as well.
That was quick! Thank you very much for making those changes.

Since you seem to be on a roll, I noticed another thing the other day, when I was searching for pubs near my current location from within Poor Maps. No pubs were returned in the results despite there being several nearby, but there were a few public transport platforms in there for some reason...not sure if poor maps is requesting the wrong POI type, or if it's a server side thing? The map package was the one I created using the script as we discussed previously in this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
@rinigus I understand there is no other way for this moment.

volga. It's not problem with copy from PC to phone. I use ubuntu 16.04 and last importer. I'll try to send Importer output, but how to do it? to get from terminal(it's long) and send after that.
Thanks for help.

P.S. It's not simple to replay by SfOS from phone :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
@rinigus I understand there is no other way for this moment.

volga. It's not problem with copy from PC to phone. I use ubuntu 16.04 and last importer. I'll try to send Importer output, but how to do it? to get from terminal(it's long) and send after that.
Thanks for help.

P.S. It's not simple to replay by SfOS from phone :-)
Great, Linux makes it all easer for me. I would suggest to run importer again and see

du -sh volga-fed-district

For me it resulted in 328MB.

You could copy the output and paste it into https://ptpb.pw/f . For that, go to that web-site, copy your text into the large text box (central), set the expiry date (bottom right) for ~week from now, and press paste. As a result, you will get a light blue box with "status: created". Click on "created" and send me the URL via this forum. Then we can see whether import was fine.

Is it possible that you run out of storage? RAM is also an option, how much do you have in Ubuntu?

The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
That was quick! Thank you very much for making those changes.

Since you seem to be on a roll, I noticed another thing the other day, when I was searching for pubs near my current location from within Poor Maps. No pubs were returned in the results despite there being several nearby, but there were a few public transport platforms in there for some reason...not sure if poor maps is requesting the wrong POI type, or if it's a server side thing? The map package was the one I created using the script as we discussed previously in this thread.
Thanks!

Its surely not Poor Maps issue. The problem could be either the wrong POI type or absence of the pubs nearby.

To see the available types, use the URL given https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...able-poi-types . For that, start the server and visit

http://localhost:8553/v1/poi_types

in the browser. [There is no better way right now]. When you look for nearby POIs, you are searching for objects which are within the given distance (with some precision) and are of the corresponding type. The type comparison is done by lowercasing the type you enter and assuming that you entered a substring of a type.

If the type was correct and pubs are still missing, try to do the same search in Poor Maps using some other search provider. You could also go to http://www.openstreetmap.org and see if you can find the pubs over there. Try to figure out what type they are and see if you could find them.

Let me know. If something is wrong and you see all these pubs in OSM, we would debug it further. Then I would need an example of a missing pub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@rinigus I'll do this slightly later.

RAM = 8 GB. I don't see warning "out of space".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles