Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
But I usually don't leave my finger with my phone if I forget it in a bar, or in case of theft.
I think that robber will cut your finger also.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Magnesium... hmmm...

And what about security... I know some persons who can take Your fingers or eyes to get ones phone... So if You are worried about Your health... Just keep Your phone unlocked

I'm very sorry about OT again...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
theres a trick: https://www.noreplied.com/how-to-ins...alaxy-s7-edge/
Usefulness of the trick depends how the phone manages the SIMs and SD card.

In Xperia X trick does not work.
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1817
Would be nice if it worked in Fx.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
...By the way Juiceme, which procedure did you use to enable double-tap-to-unlock on Sailfish X? I haven't read the corresponding thread on TJC in a long time but I thought enabling it still had some downsides. I am using an Xperia X Compact, I think some sensors are not enabled, maybe that would be an extra issue.
I did it like this (same instructions that I used for Jolla-1and Intex Aquafish):
https://reviewjolla.blogspot.com/201...-tools-by.html

And here is graph of battery consumption of Xperia X (looks very normal for me):
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
I think that robber will cut your finger also.
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
And what about security... I know some persons who can take Your fingers or eyes to get ones phone... So if You are worried about Your health... Just keep Your phone unlocked
Well again, in most cases robbers will run with the phone before trying to unlock it. Or they will just find it where the previous owner left it unattended. They won't look for fingers immediately, not would they care about the data in most cases anyway.

Now if this is a theft with agression and they do care about unlocking the phone and they do realize that there is a device lock, all they will see is a numeric pad on the lock screen (I'm talking about Sailfish since the beginning). If they are threatening the owner, I believe they would ask for the code before even knowing a fingerprint would work. And they would still prefer a code over a finger even if they knew. I'd just give them the frickin code.

I feel like we are drifting to very unrealistic situations just to make a point about fingerprint unlock being evil. I mean, those who think a smartphone's fingerprint sensor is high-resolution, scans a full fingerprint, and sends it to any secret services (even with Sailfish) are free not to use it. Again, I wouldn't be overconfident with Android/Google Services, and I have nothing to support that Sailifsh would be more trustworthy, but I do tend to trust them more on privacy. However, the device is still locked with a code, the sensor is just an alternative to unlock without typing the said code and risking having it compromised by sneakers. I didn't think finger-cutters would be seen as an obvious vulnerability in this case. It's also a get away excuse: "Nah, can't give you any code to play with my phone Kevin, you'd need to cut my finger and carry it with you. Play with your mother's phone."

[Edit] Thanks Heik, I'll look into that!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-02-07 at 19:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Not only are there fingerprints left on the device, your fingerprints can also be constructed from a set of pictures.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
This is true, but are we talking about the same thing? My lock code is not an encryption key for the content of my phone, it is just a lock on the front door to prevent curious people and thieves from easily looking in my phone without my consent, and not typing any code reduces the risk that they will guess it from the smudge on the screen (< 10-year old children can do it, and they actually do it). For highly sensitive data, I wouldn't trust a simple front door that is convenient to open, I would go for fully encrypted data with a complex key that is a lot less convenient to use reapeatedly. Now do I want a 10-word pass phrase to unlock my phone tens of times a day?

I mean, the guy in the video below is literally crafting a fingerprint in his garage, but I doubt many pickpockets do that on their spare time. Sure they might, but I mitigate risks with a mechanism that I think has an adequate costs/benefits ratio making the task not too bothersome, while keeping most thieves out. The video is a firm demonstration that a fingerprint security can be worked around, but no one claimed the opposite, and a geometric pattern visible from the smudge on the screen is neither safer nor quicker to unlock.

After a few messages, I understand now that the majority disagrees, but I'm happy that there will be a fingerprint sensor on the Livermorium and I still hope I'll be able to run Sailfish on it and unlock it that way. :<

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-02-07 at 21:36.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
I am happy the sensor is there, because I know its a selling argument for the device. the Android crowd will love it, others like it too.

I just like to exercise my option to ignore it and use more secure locks.

On my N900 for example, which I use for adminstering company servers I haven't got the possibility. So I had to build an second security layer myself, in this case ssh key passwords. Having these and my contacts and images behind a single strong lock would be awesome.

Last edited by Macros; 2019-02-08 at 08:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
When I said 'seen the real deal', I didn't meant pictures.....
Yes, I got it. Don't know how, but you seen the devices in person - I did get that from your message.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Plastic? Seriously?
No company uses plastic anymore for their high end phones.
It has no premium feeling.

This phone is not made from metal. The case will be made from Magnesium alloy (!)
Now that's quality right over there.
Great to hear. From the picture, I found it difficult to discern which parts are made of black (paint?) metal and which parts, if any, are made of black plastic. And if you say that the keys on the keyboard are made of metal as well, I will find it difficult to believe.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtRMJjVXcAEP8lc.jpg
Sorry for sarcasm. I am not after premium feeling - I am after durability and ability to survive falls. But then, they may be two different terms for the same thing.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

[EDIT] Seriously, I am glad to hear that N990 [made-up name for successor of N950] is going ahead. And that there are photographs of prototypes themselves, not only computer renderings. I am just an exhausted scatter brain who dreams of automagically synchronising MicroB bookmarks with Google Chrome bookmarks from laptop - even though dynamic IP and such make it nearly impossible.[/EDIT]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2019-02-07 at 23:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
TBH the last update didn't provide much detail that wasn't already disclosed. Chen said on Twitter that the phone would support most carriers in North America. The only "new" info is the camera button, quick charge, and stereo speakers. Even those bits are kinda expected... Waiting for the big reveal or something really surprising.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit