Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Whould you donate if i finish the app as described below?
Poll Options
Whould you donate if i finish the app as described below?

I would like to know if you would donate to this app (i am trying to buy a proper bike ) if i manage to finish it, and you are satisfied with, it as described below:

This app is not just a gui for the E.F.F shell script, is a complete new app (i have been working on it for at least two months), the only common thing is the way of tuning the reciever. The app will be error/bug free and well tested (ex. like the ones you get at ovi store ).

Info:
E.F.F. (Empty Frequencies Finder) is a utility that lets you choose a range (only 87.5 FM - 108.0 FM) to scan from, for empty/unused frequencies, using the reciever of N900 and headphones as its antenna. For example you can use this utility to find empty frequencies, so you can easily transmit from your N900 to your radio. If you are not satisfied with the emptiness of the frequency scanning results you can select between modes, to find a better one.

And something more that i am not sure if i will add and will be working fine (please tell me if you like it, i dont know if its useful but looks cool ) :
There will be a button to activate rgb LEDS of N900 to show the same color as the one shown by the E.F.F. label (see screenshots below) at RESERVED-EMPTY RATIO part.

Attached demo is included to see the ui and get an idea of how it will be .
NOTE: Scanning speed wont be as fast as that one of "demo" version.

Screenshots:
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb eff_0.7.0_armel.deb (50.1 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by BLIZZARD; 2010-12-28 at 17:45.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BLIZZARD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Since you ask: no, I don't think I would donate.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Since you ask: no, I don't think I would donate.
Why ? I just want to know if i will manage to get some money to buy the bike i want (now that is christmas and its on sale), to spend more time on the app and finish it as fast as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to BLIZZARD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
I would not buy your app as I do not use the fm transmitter, but would pay for a app that was developed to a well finished standard and that I would use a few times a month.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
I would not buy your app as I do not use the fm transmitter, but would pay for a app that was developed to a well finished standard and that I would use a few times a month.
I dont sell the app, it will be free and open scource just want to know if there will be any donations.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I would ....

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
sorry was on two threads at once and miss read what you put, but same goes for a donation though needs to be something I use.

keep up the hard work...

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Wouldn't the main usage of this feature be to set the FM transmitter to a good frequency? If so, would users really be interested in the *percentage* of free frequencies? I guess the most sane approach to that would be to pick the best (or a random) free frequency out of the scanned list, set the FM transmitter to the frequency using fmtx_client, and show the resulting frequency in big bold letters, so that you can set that frequency e.g. in your car stereo? And maybe have a big "rescan" button that scans the frequencies again and picks a better one (again, setting fmtx_client to that frequency and displaying the new frequency in big letters)?

Some additional feature ideas: Save a list of free frequencies based on GPS position for faster scanning in the future. Randomly scan the frequency range and pick the first free frequency.

About "error free and well tested": It turns out apps in Extras ("real" Extras, not -devel or -testing) are more tested than Ovi Store apps And the first version isn't usually error free. It's not about getting it right the first time, bug quickly reacting to bug reports and fixing bugs =)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
On my own personal experience... I think donationware is a lost battle...

If I'd only asked .25 cents for every QBW instance people installed I'd be rich in several month since then. But this hasn't happened ... despite more than 100K downloads.

Sorry, mate, but I believe that from your own developments, you'll gain just many (or few depending on your "half empty/full glass" perspective) tangible but mostly intangible things:

- Ego satisfaction
- Community respect
- Community gratitude
- Tons of requests/claims for support (at times even unpolite and with real-time fixing expectations)
- Programming experience & expertise

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to No!No!No!Yes! For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
hope some people will find it useful and ready to donate. Please do consider adding proper fm radio app if you happen to continue the project. And sorry I won't be donating, I am from third country! and even if I wanted to donate, I don't have access to any international payment method.