Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
Okay I was able to get it run on startup but not working correctly using tips from following thread (post #4 and #5)

Problem is that if script is run on startup time it doesn't work correctly. Keyboard mapping is not working. At the moment only way I have get it work is the desktop icon aproach.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...409#post526409

1) Create folder to /home/opt with name keys
Code:
mkdir /home/opt/keys
2) copy your script to /home/opt/keys folder

Code:
cp /home/user/MyDocs/keys.py /home/opt/keys
3) Create file keys to /etc/event.d
Code:
cd /etc/event.d
nano keys
4) edit file and write following
Code:
console logged

start on started hildon-desktop
stop on stopped dbus

exec /usr/bin/python /opt/keys/keys.py
Alternative you can create file with leafpad to N900 folder and then copy it to /etc/event.d (as root)

Code:
cp /home/user/MyDocs/keys /etc/event.d

Last edited by jakoleh; 2010-02-21 at 10:10. Reason: Script doesn't work when started on startup

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakoleh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bergen, Norway
Originally Posted by JoHnY View Post
First, you need to enable bluetooth HID support, edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf and remove "hid" from "DisablePlugins=" line.
I did not find a hid on that line, but it had "input" which I removed.

Then send these commands:
stop bluetoothd
start bluetoothd
Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:/etc/bluetooth# stop bluetoothd
bluetoothd (stop) running, process 2774
bluetoothd (stop) pre-stop, (main) process 2774
bluetoothd (stop) stopping, process 2774
bluetoothd (stop) killed, process 2774
bluetoothd (stop) post-stop
bluetoothd (stop) waiting
Nokia-N900-42-11:/etc/bluetooth# start bluetoothd
bluetoothd (start) waiting
bluetoothd (start) starting
bluetoothd (start) pre-start, process 2862
bluetoothd (start) spawned, process 2863
bluetoothd (start) post-start, (main) process 2863
bluetoothd (start) running, process 2863
1. Enable bluetooth through GUI (if it's not on) and pair the keyboard with the device through GUI (although I'm not sure if pairing through GUI is necessary to get the keyboard working, but it does not hurt and you need to do it just once)
Done. It says it's connected, and shows the mac address in the gui.

2. Issue the following command:
Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter
You'll get a response like: object path "/org/bluez/11984/hci0"
Code:
method return sender=:1.469 -> dest=:1.472 reply_serial=2
   object path "/org/bluez/2863/hci0"
4. Enter this command: hcitool scan (be sure that your bluetooth keyboard did not fall into sleep mode in the meantime and that it's still sending out information about its presence - usually indicated by blinking blue light)
After some time, you should be able to see the MAC address of your keyboard (if you don't have 10 other people having the same bluetooth keyboard in a close distance to you, you should be able to identify yours by the name)
All I get from this command is this:
Code:
Scanning ...
The keyboard start blinking blue when I type something on it, and it says connected in the gui on the phone, but the bluetooth icon in the tray stays white almost all the time, sometimes it blinks blue, but mostly it stays white.

The gui tells me the mac address of the keyboard so I tried the next command:
Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez  /org/bluez/2863/hci0/dev_00_18_00_00_96_b7
but all I get from this command is:
Code:
Usage: dbus-send [--help] [--system | --session | --address=ADDRESS] [--dest=NAME] [--type=TYPE] [--print-reply=(literal)] [--reply-timeout=MSEC] <destination object path> <message name> [contents ...]
The keyboard is a "KeySonic Super Mini Keyboard" with model number "ACK-340BT (Nordic)" and has a built-in touchpad as well.
It works very well with my computer(s) but I can't seem to get this to work

Anyone have any advice to how to get any further?

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Hi, I using a Apple wireless keyboard on my N900 and it works right out of the box after pairing. The only thing is that it won't support all the (standard) keys. The numbers (and shift + numbers) and some other special characters don't work, if I use the 'xkb-chinook' hack and

Code:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us
it doesn't make any difference. Anybody got a sollution or am I doing something wrong?

Originally Posted by MortenCB View Post

All I get from this command is this:
Code:
Scanning ...
You should be able to see the keyboard with hcitool scan in any case, there's something wrong... Even if you were unable to pair it, you should be able to see it. This just means that the phone does not see the keyboard.
All I can think of now is to try to replace batteries in the keyboard...

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
So the lesson is.

If you want a bluetooth keyboard currently. Reflash to firmware from week 42. Setup your bluetooth keyboard by editing main.conf and pairing with it.

Test the keyboard function and then upgrade by OTA to week 44, test keyboard, and upgrade by OTA to week 51. When using week 51 firmware you need to use stop bluetoothd and start bluetoothd to get the keyboard to work.

Now we just need to figure out what is preserved in the OTA that is left out of the firmware when you reflash, and how we can make a install package for that.
This ultimately worked for me. My problems began with updating a US device with the latest Global firmware before pairing the keyboard, after which I could pair the keyboard but it would not work. I reflashed with US firmware and began the above process with success. Thanks to everyone who has contributed here - I like this phone a lot but would have returned it if I couldn't get a bluetooth keyboard to work.

I voted on the bug page.

Does anyone here know if there is some widget or at least shell script for simple enabling/disabling bluetooth on N900?
I hate doing 4 clicks each time I want to enable or disable bluetooth :-)
Theoretically it should be possible to do it through some D-Bus command, shouldn't it?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Does anyone here know if there is some widget or at least shell script for simple enabling/disabling bluetooth on N900?
I hate doing 4 clicks each time I want to enable or disable bluetooth :-)
Theoretically it should be possible to do it through some D-Bus command, shouldn't it?
There is a bluetooth app in extras I think. I installed it the other day and it gives you a little shortcut to switch bluetooth on and off.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Oh, cool, thanks, it seems that new stuff is beeing added more often than I am looking through the app lists :-)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
it's called bluezwitch or something like it.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

yes, bluezwitch, I have already installed it, works great