cann any one volunter and help...??? i mean a video totorial on utube? please?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
guess i bricked mine... when i press start it will show me the "multiboot" screen...

the theres " press a key to select and a countdown"

after like 10 secs... it will shutdown..
Multi-boot screen in the beginning (after a restart/reboot/poweron) is expected. You have to make a choice on this screen. If your NITDroid installation went fine, you would have 2 options 1 & 2 on this multi-boot screen. Press 1 for booting into your regular/normal maemo and 2 for trying out NITDroid.

Press either one and you are set.

If the installation of NITDroid didn't go fine, then there will be only 1 option in the multi-boot screen which would only be for maemo.

So, I don't think you have bricked your phone yet.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
when in settings how do i go back to setting home menu same question for music player how to get out from recently added to main music tabs?

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Flash 10.1 is in-built with android 2.2+ I think.
i thought this is froyo? i tried youtube and it redirects me to the mobile site. i can't play the videos either...

some people said it has flash 10 in the early parts of this thread...

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
when in settings how do i go back to setting home menu same question for music player how to get out from recently added to main music tabs?
i tried to press everything and the camera button seems to do job. not really as i can't find if there's a "back" button. just the exit one....

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by zikmir View Post
okayy no probelmmm chilll mann.. i just wanted to see the new OS... i guess ur tired.. some other time??? when ever u get time in ur life .. u can e male me some simple instruction.. im not pro at all... my e male id is: z i k m i r @ l i v e . c o m

without spaces,,,,
sorry i'm... taken.. :S

Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post
i thought this is froyo? i tried youtube and it redirects me to the mobile site. i can't play the videos either...

some people said it has flash 10 in the early parts of this thread...
my dear, froyo is the codename for android 2.2

the lock switch is back.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
anyone having a problem getting the gallery and media players detecting your content?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by zikmir View Post
cann any one volunter and help...??? i mean a video totorial on utube? please?
I understand a video would be much helpful for starters. But honestly, the installation process is so neat, there is no need for it yet.

Let me try to to see if I can explain again the same in a bit more detail.

Understanding the names:
  • nitdroid-installer : This is the installer.
  • nitdroid : The above installer installs this installer.
  • NITDroid : This is the name given to the Android port of OS that runs on your N900.

Installation Steps:
  1. 1. Plug in your microSD card. Cover our back cover. Charge your N900.
  2. 2. Connect to internet
  3. 3. Disable extras-devel and extras-testing repos/catalogues from app manager if these were enabled.
  4. 4. install rootsh either from App Manager or by any other alternate methods (dpkg, apt-get, fapman, etc)
  5. 5. open x-terminal app.
  6. 6. Type "sudo gainroot" without the quotes (") on the x-terminal.
  7. 7. Now, type "apt-get install nitdroid-installer"
  8. 8. Now type "nitdroid"
  9. 9. type "YES" if you want you agree to the terms presented here
  10. 10. Once everything goes successful, you will be presented the prompt on the x-terminal again. Type "reboot" here or you can either power-off and power-on.
  11. 11. Now you will see a multi-boot screen with 2 options. Press 1 for maemo. Press 2 for NITDroid.

Explanation:
"apt-get nitdroid-installer" command asks the "apt-get" to install "nitdroid-installer".
"apt-get" downloads it (automatically based on the repo/catalogues information) and installs it on your N900.
"nitdroid" command is to execute the installer.
The initial installation of "rootsh" is to run "apt-get" without trouble. Software installation by "apt-get" tool/application needs "root" permissions/privileges.
"sudo gainroot" command is to enter into "root" mode. This is required so that "apt-get" instructions can be performed trouble-free.

Now once you run "nitdroid", it asks you if are sure to install NITDroid or not. READ the warning there and If you want to go ahead, you type "YES" there.

What running "nitdroid" does:
"nitdroid" will first prepare (formatting, partioning if needed) your external microSD card and then download all the necessary files for NITDroid to run.
The downloads are about ~80MB in size here.
Once downloaded, it installs it on your N900.
Once everything goes fine, you reboot the N900 and you will see a multi-boot screen. Press option 1 to enter into your regular/normal "maemo". Press 2 to enter into "NITDroid".

If this is so simple, then where is the confusion?
Now where people are getting confused is the place where the "nitdroid" installer is "preparing" your microSD card.
<Remember: All this happens automatically by the "nitdroid". No need for the user to intervene or enter anything until and unless the process gets stuck somewhere>.
This "preparing" involves:
  1. 1. uninstalling conflicting packages/applications/softwaresfrom your N900
  2. 2. unmounting your microSD card so that it can be formatted
  3. 3. Actual formatting of your microSD card
  4. 4. Partitioning your microSD (if greater than 2GB) card to 2GB size. Maximum size for NITDroid and the Android market to run well on your N900.
  5. 5. Downloading necessary files to run microSD. The downloads size here is approximately 80MB.
  6. 6. Once downloaded, it installs them on your N900.

How to tell if your N900 got stuck somewhere?
If text on your N900 screen doesn't change for a long time (around 10 mins), then probably your N900 got stuck somewhere.
If your N900 gets stuck at any of the above steps (more likely between 2-3-4), there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to panic.
Do a "ctrl-c" on the x-terminal to come out from the current stuck process. Then, run steps 1 to 5 from http://www.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install

These are the steps from that above linked page.
Steps below are for a 4GB microSD card.
If you are using a 4GB card, then use the number 2100 in the 3rd command below.
If you have a 8GB card, replace 2100 from the below 3rd command with 6100.
If you are using a microSD card with less than 2GB, replace 2100 with 1.

Enter the below code line-by-line in the x-terminal.
Code:
1. First, become root
sudo gainroot

2. unmount the microSD card
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1

3. Partioning the microSD card. You need to provide your current card size here.
sfdisk -uM /dev/mmcblk1 << EOF
,2100,C
,,L
EOF

4. Again unmount the microSD card. Sometimes, 3rd command executed above might have mounted it back.
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1

5. Actual formatting
mkdosfs  /dev/mmcblk1p1
mke2fs -L NITDroid -j -m0 /dev/mmcblk1p2
Now once this is done. Run "nitdroid" again from the x-terminal and type "YES" when it asks are you sure to install NITDroid.
Now, things should work smoothly. "preparing" your card will be done. Proper files will be downloaded and then installed.

Once all the above is done, reboot your N900. A multi-boot screen will appear with 2 options. Press 1 to enter into your normal/regular maemo. Press 2 to enter into NITDroid.

Once done booting to NITDroid, don't forget to Thank The NITDroid team!

That's it!!

Share your experiences!!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
sorry i'm... taken.. :S

my dear, froyo is the codename for android 2.2

the lock switch is back.
i know 2.2 is froyo. it's just i have no idea if this is a 2.2 w/c requires for flash. i don't know if it's something that needs to be installed as i can't find it in the market or like someone said that it is built in w/c doesn't seem to be as i can't play youtube vids...

Once all the above is done, reboot your N900. A multi-boot screen will appear with 2 options. Press 1 to enter into your normal/regular maemo. Press 2 to enter into NITDroid.

Once done booting to NITDroid, don't forget to Thank The NITDroid team!

That's it!!

Share your experiences!!

how come i got 3 options? i can't open the 3rd one and all i can get is an error...

Tags
bada rox, face coconut, face palm, nitdroid n900