Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
April 1st is over, you might think, but it's real!
If you're using one of these cameras, you might have heard about Magic Lantern - a firmware hack that loads into the cameras' RAM and enables various features previously provided by dedicated video cameras only. It's a remarkeable piece of work and a bless for filming.

The guys around Magic Lantern took the latest Linux kernel (3.19) and did the first steps to port it. As they have nearly zero experience with kernel development, they didn't get too far, but can present a proof of concept implementation.
Next step: build userspace binaries (GUI, etc.)

Not shure if maemo will run on these cameras (CPU: ARM 946E-S), but why not have VOIP on those models with WIFI?
Just thought I help spread the news. And if you're interested or even feel encouraged, I'm sure any help will be greatly appreciated by those brothers-in-minds.

link: Original post on the Magic Lantern forum with video and further links.
link: Main Developer about goals and problems.

And an interesting comment on this article about the innovation:
All of Sony's cameras have run Linux for years. It'd be interesting to find out what Tim Bird thinks about this, as he's managed Sony's embedded Linux development efforts in recent decades, and also a lot of industry-wide embedded Linux committee and event activities. Not sure what bits of Sony's stack are GPL'd, or if the hardware architectures are compatible (both likely ARM, but little-endian? big-endian? etc.) but perhaps some Sony software could be ported, giving a boost to those hoping to implement a full Linux-based software stack for Canon DSLRs. This might be a good place to start looking for usable software bits: http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/DI/category01.html
Tse... Wanna run Angry Birds on it, or Gimp maybe?
Current Maemo Community Council member

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2015-04-05 at 23:04. Reason: added info + link

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Forget angry birds, forget GIMP, the most basic thing I want from a video camera is the ability to do a very basic video editing. Nothing fancy, just cut a video recoding at any place and stitch two recordings together into one. Give me that and I will be happy. I have yet to see a camera that can do it. Heck, such basic thing is severly lacking even on desktops! There are massive video editor suites that take hours to save the video after every edit but nothing basic like that that should take a split second.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, canon, dslr_, kernel, magiclantern