As crazy as it seems I seem to agree with Dave, since Sailfish itself, was meant to be exactly what Mer is, a distribution for manufactures to build there own UI and system onto top of, which is exactly what Mer is. There both the same thing more or less. Or did I miss something here? I thought Jolla was the actual OS with swipe, android layer etc.

I thought libhybris there by default is what Sailfish has over Mer.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
It's always worth asking these questions - actually we discussed Mer and Jolla quite a bit at FOSDEM

Moving Mer into Sailfish would have pros and cons - feel free to discuss.

I will suggest you look to the OSS ecosystem at company managed open-source projects for citations though (both for and against). MySQL, Nagios both spring to mind. Intel quietly support lots of OSS projects. Canonical has Ubuntu. RedHat has Fedora and now CentOS associations. Suse/OpenSUSE...

Mer does currently have a number of other companies (and individuals) contributing - branding changes may affect that. Eg there's an upcoming Mer sprint that a company in Venice is organising. We also know that a number of companies are watching to see how things go with Jolla. Would they be more or less likely to be involved in an OSS project where another company had the reigns?

It's also true Mer has had less attention from me, Carsten and others recently. However if one of our major "customers" (who also hired us) fails to deliver a product then our vision ("making it easy to make devices") would be at risk. So we had to prioritise our time - sleep deprivation led to some slowdown in Mer contributions and maintenance. Now the Jolla device is out we're looking to make time to revitalise the project.

FWIW I have no plans to rename Mer

HTH

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So Mer will be Mer for the timing being.

So what is the purpose about Mer if not to be a part of released consumer electronics. If people contribute to it from time to time it's great, but at the same time nothing to give any notice to the world at large.The issue I'm bringing to the table is more about how to make Mer and sailfish bigger and not the to remove its existence in any way.

Yeah , they watching sailfish and automatically also Mer. But mainly sailfish since it's bring the gold to the table,consumer products. That's why I was asking of a game changer to boost the interest from potential watchers. I doubt operators or vendors thinking. Hmm,Mer looks good lets build our own os since it's already available they might go for that.

So I'm not sure what the ultimate goal is with Mer but I think it's now or never.

Thank you for your thoughts lbt. Much appreciated!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-02-05 at 16:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
This may explain quite a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pqgBOyTP0

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Mer...anyone working at just mer ATM?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Mer...anyone working at just mer ATM?
Looking at the packages list, they weren't updated in a quite a while. So it's a good question.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Looking at the packages list, they weren't updated in a quite a while. So it's a good question.
Yes, that's why I'm asking. So what to make of it? I guess that if jolla will release another device or version they either absorb mer, fork or push changes to everyone. I know what I do...if I was a one man jolla.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-07 at 16:51.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Jolla is like one man army....

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Was i right or was i right. IT Will absorbing Mer unofficially

Btw. What's the plan with tizen Mer? Don't really get that part.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-17 at 19:40.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sha Tin, Hong Kong
Mer is a (open source) core. Sailfish is built with that at its core encompassing closed source and proprietary technologies. It's an implementation (key word here). Two separate definitions.

The Following User Says Thank You to andyr0ck For This Useful Post: