Notices

Yeah I know that's why I am asking what's with making a recursive chmod on preenv game folders.
Look it even reached 2 pages here and I don't see any need for that at all.
http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=10210140

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
hey, there ! i was just willing to know... as i couldn't find an answer in this thread - it may be a bit off topic but... - would it be possible to run WebOS apps also ? i mean apps like IM+
or only games are supported because they use SDL libraries ?
thx in advance ^^

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

I feel a little something to the Standard Rules
How to test the game?
In addition to installing preenv, whether there is what must be installed?
Corresponding to the error message handling that?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Preenv/FAQ shown is for the method corresponding to the individual game
However, not many people to increase data

chmod-R 777 is just a convenient way. but it is not correct
javispedro and travla're right, I'm sorry the government against use the wrong idea

But for newcomers how to play the game the fewest mistakes, DEB and WebOS Games Manager is a good way
But not many people make, WebOS Games Manager has still not fully installed the game all known executable

Originally Posted by travla View Post
javispedro/jflatt, would you guys know whether it would be possbile to add true portrait support for games that are played in portrait mode? The games that are played in portrait work well, but notifications & volume control are in landscape - it would be nice to have them in portait since those two items do work in portrait mode maemo applications.

Just an idea, I have no idea how simple/complex it would be to incorporate, or any roadblocks in the way.
That would require knowing which specific programs displayed themselves in a portrait orientation, which would be a bit hackish. There isn't anything going on with Maemo API rotation there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
That would require knowing which specific programs displayed themselves in a portrait orientation, which would be a bit hackish. There isn't anything going on with Maemo API rotation there.
That's what the PDL_SetOrientation function is for AFAIU, its a hint to the system UI from the game which orientation should system alerts, menus, etc. should use.

However, the issue is with the Maemo SDL. It doesn't work exactly well with the standard Hildon rotation (doesn't update its valid resolutions list when the screen is rotated, and thus crashes unless you don't render outside of a 480x480 area).

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Thanks for the response jflatt. I just had a thought, bear with me if I don't make sense. Is a game that is running via preenv seen by Maemo like any other application that is running? If so, could we add a switch to preenv (and desktopgen), say -p, that would allow that instance of preenv to be seen by maemo as a portait application, and hence rotate volume controls and notifications?

This would also mean that it is up to the user to set the switch while running the game (or making the shortcut). What do you think?

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That's what the PDL_SetOrientation function is for AFAIU, its a hint to the system UI from the game which orientation should system alerts, menus, etc. should use.

However, the issue is with the Maemo SDL. It doesn't work exactly well with the standard Hildon rotation (doesn't update its valid resolutions list when the screen is rotated, and thus crashes unless you don't render outside of a 480x480 area).
javispedro, can an orientation be set independent of that function for the application/system interaction?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Thanks for the response jflatt. I just had a thought, bear with me if I don't make sense. Is a game that is running via preenv seen by Maemo like any other application that is running? If so, could we add a switch to preenv (and desktopgen), say -p, that would allow that instance of preenv to be seen by maemo as a portait application, and hence rotate volume controls and notifications?
Due to the way the Maemo SDL works, the only way this can work is by forcing portait mode from hildon-desktop, so that it works in portrait mode from start to end.

This is impossible with the stock hildon-desktop, as it will flip rotations at least once during the startup. It might be possible with the CSSU hildon-desktop, however, I do not have much motivation to open that can of worms...

It is though on my loong TODO list to fix the Maemo SDL one day (aka=add xrandr notifications support to it).

javispedro, can an orientation be set independent of that function for the application/system interaction?
Games use that function correctly (because otherwise the same stuff you see on the N900 would happen on the Pre) -- Preenv just doesn't implement it correctly because of the above reasons.

Also, while WebOS is able to rotate the interface in all 4 directions (and the browser for ex does it), the stock hildon-desktop only supports 2.

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-04-25 at 15:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the explanation, makes a little more sense now.

Solved.

If any game seems to get stuck with "Initializing device unique ID", then check to make sure your bluetooth is on in the phone. I did an strace and also looked through the libsdlpre.so and found out that the messages tries to create a unique device id by reading /dev/random if it cannot get the id from the device bluetooth configuration and reading /dev/random is extremely slow.

Also strace revealed some invalid paths in /media/cryptofs - fixed it with symlinks.

qiet72.

Tags
games, multi touch, palm pre, preenv, profile, reach page 250?, speed, yesssss