Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Saw this linked from phonescoop.

"By officially joining the Qt open source effort, RIM will contribute its Qt work back to the project with a promise not to fork the code base. "

Last edited by tzsm98; 2012-02-07 at 19:02. Reason: add a brief quote from linked article

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
I think its the only tablet to get for n900 enthusiasts.

The iPad is locked down, Win7 is too slow/thick/thristy, Win8 is not here yet, Android is stuck in its own mess...WeTab sucks balls (as with other open source hardware efforts).

But they better offer new choices in 2012, I'm thinking:
6.8" + 8.9" + 10.1" sizes with polished hardware (shaved bezels, thinner, lighter, position of ports/buttons easily pressed).

Plus updated specs (BT 3/4, GLONASS, NFC, 1.5GHz Tri-A9 or Dual-A15) and more choices (LTE/3G-telephony, Lapdock for the two larger models)

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think its the only tablet to get for n900 enthusiasts.
Don't forget the firesale-Touchpad. It even already runs Python & PyGame.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
It isn't supported yet, but should be in the PlayBook 2.0 OS.
We will have to see how well it works, and what is supported.
The promise of "cross platform development" has been greatly exaggerated up to this point for mobile applications.
Don't get me wrong, it was a lot worse, but a Qt application isn't a compile away for most situations.

For example you can also use Qt in an Android application using necessitas, but currently it lacks a number of modules (multimedia, sound etc.). And when Qt for Symbian^3 was released OpenGL wasn't supported yet. You still can't compile for Symbian on a non-windows platform using the official SDK. WebOS also used to have some Qt components, but without proper integration with (a version of) Qt Creator that isn't very useful.

So I really hope the Qt support functions well in PlayBook OS 2.0, but that is something we will have to wait and see.
If it is properly integrated with Qt Creator, can be compiled on Linux, has everything needed to make a game (at least partial OpenGL support, and sound/multimedia), then I will buy a PlayBook to test it. Even if I think that the tablet is really unoriginal in both hardware and software design.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
WebOS also used to have some Qt components, but without proper integration with (a version of) Qt Creator that isn't very useful.
It still has, (qt4-webkit) but IIRC it's not API accessible.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
It still has, (qt4-webkit) but IIRC it's not API accessible.
The launcher screen, work in progress circle and various other main UI elements appear to be written in QML. When I digged through the file system I eventually located a bunch of QML files implementing custom components for all of this. Concerning imports used in the files:
Code:
import Qt 4.7
I would say it's probably QtQuick 1.0 @ Qt 4.7.0 or similar. I haven't seen any official documentation on this and anybody else using it to write QML applications so far.

Still a few days ago, A-Browser QML (test) showed in the Preware feed. It claims to be using Qt 4.8 (!), Webkit and QML. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any more info on this, not even the source code.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Hmm, the description states that it is basically the QML browser demo. Given that it has scrollbars and no special touch integration for the UI, it's believable.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So Playbook and WebOS both support Qt. When will something popular support Qt? Seems to be popping up on platforms that are either dying, considered flops or do not have the developer's mindshare at the moment.

That needs to stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So Playbook and WebOS both support Qt. When will something popular support Qt? Seems to be popping up on platforms that are either dying, considered flops or do not have the developer's mindshare at the moment.

That needs to stop.
Qt for Android & PySide for Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Qt for Android & PySide for Android.
Wow, so Android my be a viable alternative for me after all.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Tags
playbook os, qt framework