Notices

I am getting confusing behavior with the latest update:

I'm viewing Prague, with OSM T&H map. When at zoom level 17, the tiles download and display, i.e. I see a brief period of downloading when going to a new region, and then it's displayed.

If zooming in to level 18, it just gets stuck on Downloading forever, I mean at first I thought this was due to the fact of the tiles being generated on the server end, but no, even after a couple of minutes, just Downloading everywhere, no errors or tiles not downloaded, just green and Downloading...

Maybe the tiles at this zoom in level already don't exist, don't remember if I could zoom in to 18 before, but I don't get the tile unavailable message now...

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Speed coding FTW V0.25-7 with support for multiple visible POI is out.
  • once a POI is shown on the map, it will stay visible
  • use "clear visible" to wipe all visible POI from the map

More later.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Clearing works charmingly | edit may 31st: v 0.25-7
Is there a way to clear priorly opened tracklogs as well?

Last edited by 7thd; 2011-05-31 at 19:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jj0 View Post
If zooming in to level 18, it just gets stuck on Downloading forever
Upgraded to the latest version and this behavior seems to be fixed. Indeed shows the tile unavailable info again...

The Following User Says Thank You to jj0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bipinbn View Post
Thanks for the update Martin,

I see in the change log that there is some option regarding font size but could not find anything in the option menu. The route info page for me has overlapped text due to large font size.

Let us know your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Bipin
Not yet but I'm working on it (there a similar issue wit the new batch download menu sometimes).

Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
Hi, I instaled modRana (and now marble as well) after the stock ovi maps failed for me last time and used it last night for a trip.
BTW, what about a modRana vs Marble vs Ovi Maps comparison ?

Also, while driving, I noticed it displayed 'turn on to A12' with the distance increasing steadily. this was after that turn and i was already on the A12. Is this a bug or a feature? because i was on a long stretch of road the next turn was probably still far away but should it not display the next step anyway?
ModRana detect that you passed a turn-point by drawing an imaginary circle around it at than checking if you got inside it. If you miss the circle modRana won't detect the point as passed and won't switch to the next one - this can happen especially when the route is not marked in thy actual physical place and/or when you have bad GPS reception.
The size of this virtual circle is 30 m by default and can be configured in Options->Navigation->Turn by turn as Point reached distance.

I tried to press the screen for the next step but it tried to go online for re-routing.
Can this have a time out or something, because I had my phone in ofline mode, it couldnt reroute and just kept displaying the message for ten minutes or so

I stopped at a petrol station, went online and let it re-calculate the route and it worked fine after that.
When it was time to go home this morning I went online let it calculate the return trip, went offline again and everything worked perfectly
Pressing the navigation box currently just trigger (online) rerouting. You can use the arrows above the box to switch between turns.

Couple of requests for improving this program

Can you make the background of the text that displays the turn info slightly darker for more contrast? I have it mounted on my motorcycle inside a RAM Aquabox and the text is a bit hard to read through several layers of plastic (box and helmet visor)
The info box color is actually themable (the navigation_box_background key in theme.conf) - but I'd guess that you want to just change single color and not to build your own theme.
I think I'll add something like "override navigation info box color" + color selection dialog, then.

I didn't have it in full screen mode (to keep an eye on battery level) and noticed that it displays the time (which is displayed by the normal clock as well). Would be nice if this could be left out (when not in full screen mode) or make it configurable to display current speed or maybe ETA.
The clock is a part of the unfinished widget layer - which is configurable using the user_config.conf file in modRana main directory (/opt/modrana/). Fiddling with config files on a mobile device is not ideal, of course - the widget layer should be fully GUI configurable in a way similar to how the Maemo 5 widgets can be configured.

Offline routing, address lookup, automatic recalculating route when you miss a turn and automatic zooming would be nice too but will probably take a lot of time and work
Offline routing and Clutter map-view is my main focus for the currently running competition (once I finally register modRana to it ) + what else I manage from the heap of feature requests.

Automatic rerouting - I already how to do that, I'll just need to write the code for it.

I like the big buttons of this program, makes it easy to use even with gloves on and inside the aguabox
Thanks, glad to hear that.

Originally Posted by 7thd View Post
edit may 31st: v 0.25-7
Is there a way to clear priorly opened tracklogs as well?
Select some tracklog - any will do. Then select "Tools" and then click on "no tracks visible". Yeah, this is wrong, hidden and unintuitive. -> I'll change this to behave like the visible POI clearing (top level "clear visible" button).

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-06-04 at 00:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Could someone please make a page with instructions for download of maps and then update the first post?
Or in the first post make a link to instructions if they are hidden somewhere in the thread?

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

BTW, what about a modRana vs Marble vs Ovi Maps comparison ?
Yes, that would be cool (and something I can do), I'll start on it when I have some free time.
(I will also include CloudGPS which is basically just a map viewer with online search for now but has awesome map rendering)
A list of features and screenshots side by side I think
(I've used a Nokia N73 with GarminXT before but unfortunately lost it, would have been nice to compare it to that as well)

ModRana detect that you passed a turn-point by drawing an imaginary circle around it at than checking if you got inside it. If you miss the circle modRana won't detect the point as passed and won't switch to the next one - this can happen especially when the route is not marked in thy actual physical place and/or when you have bad GPS reception.
The size of this virtual circle is 30 m by default and can be configured in Options->Navigation->Turn by turn as Point reached distance.
I initially thought this was for the destination point only. As it happened only once I have set it to 60 now. Traveling at 120 km/h is about 33 m/s. so I think it is more likely to happen at highway speeds as well.

Pressing the navigation box currently just trigger (online) rerouting. You can use the arrows above the box to switch between turns.
True. and those are hard to hit while traveling with gloves on on the motorbike .
However the notification seems to stay on as well when you go online after it has appeared (I am not 100 % sure of that).

The info box color is actually themable (the navigation_box_background key in theme.conf) - but I'd guess that you want to just change single color and not to build your own theme.
I think I'll add something like "override navigation info box color" + color selection dialog, then.
Didn't know that, thanks. I will probably just change it in the theme.conf
( I do have an idea of creating a steampunk theme for the n900 and maybe apps but currently just don't have the time for it. something like a brass/copper button background with the image kind of etched in.)

The clock is a part of the unfinished widget layer - which is configurable using the user_config.conf file in modRana main directory (/opt/modrana/). Fiddling with config files on a mobile device is not ideal, of course - the widget layer should be fully GUI configurable in a way similar to how the Maemo 5 widgets can be configured.
Aha, just looked at it, found out it can already display speed and time to destination as well. and I hadn't even tried the other modes yet. .conf files are not a problem for me ( I am using linux as my home system) but GUI configuration would make it much easier.
Is it possible to create a motorcycle mode (or own custom modes)?

Offline routing and Clutter map-view is my main focus for the currently running competition (once I finally register modRana to it ) + what else I manage from the heap of feature requests.

Automatic rerouting - I already how to do that, I'll just need to write the code for it.

Thanks, glad to hear that.
Nice

is it possible to put an option to put an straight line of current location to poi? for offline purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to superpj101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by superpj101 View Post
is it possible to put an option to put an straight line of current location to poi? for offline purpose.
great idea

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find the answer - does the app support network positioning?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps