Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Germany
Since we get more and more users who are not used to the shell, I think it would help them more if we started to use nano-tiny in our descriptions how to do things. I use vim every day and I like it,
but users who don't yet know how to use a shell but want to tweak their nice little toy, should be able to do so with as few hassle as possible.
I just did a search on "vim" in this forum. And there are lots of tips which say something like
"use the terminal and type 'vim /file/somewhere'"
We should try to get nano-tiny into extras and refer to that instead of vi. I think it would empower new users to do great stuff with their devices. What do you think ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I like vi, but for most purposes here Leafpad is the easiest. Sure, nano is also fine.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by christoph View Post
We should try to get nano-tiny into extras...
That's the important prerequisite. Users barging ahead into Extras-devel is worrisome enough. sdk/tools is downright frightening.

I hate nano personally.... so at least from my perspective.. I will continue to either tell people to use Leafpad, VI, or give them a copy/paste cat > file << EOF command to create the file for them.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by christoph View Post
We should try to get nano-tiny into extras
Yes, thank you.

Vi is bad enough on a device that actually has man pages.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal