Closed Thread
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
For several years Nokia tumbled with no aim and no direction believing that their OS'es would magically transform themselves to streamlined modern iOS-like wonders simply by going open source.
Well, I just want one correction -

For several years Nokia tumbled with no aim and no direction believing that their OS'es would magically transform themselves to streamlined modern iOS-like wonders simply by imitation going open source.

They actually doesn't do anything serious with open source - just look and compare with Google. No support, no push to market, no applications ... of course, they lost.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Stop fooling yourself. For several years Nokia tumbled with no aim and no direction believing that their OS'es would magically transform themselves to streamlined modern iOS-like wonders simply by going open source. In hindsight, it is an almost criminally naive philosophy for a large company like Nokia to have. What is needed is strong leadership, excellent programmers and focus, focus focus.

Nothing wrong with open source, but it is not the right method to make a competitive end user OS, not without "corporate disciplined" teams.

The MeeGo philosophy where 1.2 still is a pre alpha release, just isn't good enough.

The N9 is cool and will be purchased, not because of Linux, but because of Swipe (not open source) and the complete out of the box experience. "No" N9 for the US, UK etc is an unfortunate result of all the errors done in previous years.
What are talking about ? Past Nokia have cost the CEO position despite having create a valuable company at his time. The new CEO is extremely different and shocking because it start by trashing the company values and credits. Read "the Elop effect" page.

You are correct that peoples will mostly buy the N9 because of swipe and overall experience. How the N9 was created don't interest most of them. This is a value that Nokia created and must capitalize, not actively kill. Nothing related to the Open Source, etc...

Now is should be noted that N9 Meego is actually capable to provides a hit product. This is not a small fact in the business. Tons of companies are trying to provides a hit product to the market. This is not easy for sure. So when this happens, this must be the top priority of the CEO to maximize the opportunity. Company lives because there sell products, not because there deserve some ego to there CEO.

Last edited by jcdr; 2011-08-17 at 06:51.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Whoo! Nokia stock went down from yesterday but it's managed to still close at a relative high number of 6.09, reversing the direction from the sliding dive of the past month. I have to admit that I'm surprised. It's been upward since August 11th (after the earnings numbers were released). That blows out my guess of hitting 4 in mid-August. My guess is that the earnings puffery about "still being in the lead for smartphones" helped lull investors back in for the short-term. I still think Nokia will, in the long run, continue downward instead of up but... well played for now. Well played.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-17 at 09:49.

It's moving between 5.5 and 6 but it seems to be holding steady at late July numbers.

What is really interesting is that HP seems to be taking a Platform Burning exercise right now. Like for Nokia, that means a big stock market plunge. Another OS gives in to Android, it seems.

Another thing I noticed in passing is that Bada seems to have passed Windows Phone in sales. Well, they've crossed eachother as Microsoft dropped to under 2 mill in Q2 and Bada rised to over 2 mill.

Way to go, Nokias chosen horse! Go go go!

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
And now, Nokia has fallen to number 5 (!) in smartphone shipments in Europe:

1. Samsung: 22%
2. Apple: 21%
3. HTC: 14.3%
4. RIM: 13.9%
5. Nokia: 11%

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/22/te...s-concern.html

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

I'm so p***ed off at NOKIA. They caused themselves to die.
I'm so p****ed off at Palm. They caused themselves to die.

Both companies are so weak compared to the competition, but together they could've become the most powerful.
  • Well firstly they individually have a large patent portfolio and together they're arsenal would be large enough to not be bullied (unlike LG, HTC, Samsung etc) but potentially even bully others.
  • Secondly Nokia is the leader in hardware quality, and Palm is also excellent. Together we would see iPhone 4 workmanship in the middle-price of the market, basically causing everyone to lower their prices or step their game up = promote innovation
  • Nokia is a world renown especially in the third world countries. But they have basically no market in the Nth Americas. Palm has a good reputation too, but its limited to Nth America only. Together "The World Is Yours".
  • Palm has built a very robust os with user friendly experience to their devices. Nokia was building a flexible os with cross-compatible native apps. Basically they are Ying and Yang.
  • Both companies have big developer communities, which pale in comparison to Apple's and Google's. But together they make a modest sum. And now every oem realizes the importance of developers to their platform.
  • And I believe, had Nokia collaborated instead of HP, we'd see MeeGo released possibly before WP7. And seeing the growth which WP7 had over this ~6months, its very limited and quite slow.
  • Basically Palm completes NOKIA, and vice versa.

I think the adoption rate would've been immense, not iPhone 4 rate, but certainly superior to Galaxy S sales. Which would mean MeeGo would've surpassed all ecosystems except iOS and Android... and possibly RIM (which would be overtaken soon).

I believe had NOKIA played their cards right in this volatile market; Dell, ASUS, Acer, LG, HP, ZTE would adopt MeeGo because of its advantages over Android especially in regards to patent protection. I think even later, Motorola would join, possibly even Samsung (doubtful of HTC and Sony Ericsson).

So that is a $1.5B investment they discarded, which would've have a healthy return (to power). But instead NOKIA wasted that entire year and lost ~$48B.

What do you guys think NOKIA's share value would be if my hindsight (actually was my foresight) is what had occurred?
I'm estimating an average of $10.45 compared to last weeks $5.30 share values.

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-08-22 at 12:21.

Nokia has had an "okay" month. It's been falling most of the month but had a fast rise so all in all it's about the same as 30 days ago. Which must be considered good in comparison to the rest of the post-elopgate era.

As to an Nokia+Palm union, I don't have a clue as to whether that would be a good move or not. :B

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
It is looking really bad. Rumours are getting stronger and stronger. Microsoft is likely acquiring Nokia pretty soon. Damn u Elop and Ollila!

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Well, I just want one correction -

For several years Nokia tumbled with no aim and no direction believing that their OS'es would magically transform themselves to streamlined modern iOS-like wonders simply by imitation going open source.

They actually doesn't do anything serious with open source - just look and compare with Google. No support, no push to market, no applications ... of course, they lost.
Google knows how to develop software, Nokia doesn't. It will be fun to see how Google handles Motorola. If they make use of their common sense, they will let the hardware die and concentrate on the patents, but I doubt they manage to resist the burning urge to rule the world with both HW and software.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-08-22 at 16:34.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen