Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Here is the link if someone has spare coins to use.

https://m.tori.fi/vi/53169610.htm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
You've got the wrong month. April's fool is still two months from now

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
As it is said: it is not fool who asks but who pays.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Cute, it might be interesting to see a video about it, or even handle and play with one.
Probably like the old dev edition SL-5000 Zaurus which had half the memory 32mb vs the 64mb of the production SL-5500. I survived the early to mid 2000s with one in my pocket and a Nokia 6600 over IR link some sweet GSM data. What I like is prototypes where they are actually better say with 4x the memory or a machined titanium body.
I still would like to see the rumored black coated Ti and sapphire Vertu prototype which ran Maemo5; before of course Vertu and sort of Nokia went away.
You wound not belive what I accomplished with that run of Zauri before I upgraded to the N900.
GNU-Linux in your pocket is great, and a hardware keyboard!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Zaurus

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Cute, it might be interesting to see a video about it, or even handle and play with one.
Probably like the old dev edition SL-5000 Zaurus which had half the memory 32mb vs the 64mb of the production SL-5500. I survived the early to mid 2000s with one in my pocket and a Nokia 6600 over IR link some sweet GSM data. What I like is prototypes where they are actually better say with 4x the memory or a machined titanium body.
I still would like to see the rumored black coated Ti and sapphire Vertu prototype which ran Maemo5; before of course Vertu and sort of Nokia went away.
You wound not belive what I accomplished with that run of Zauri before I upgraded to the N900.
GNU-Linux in your pocket is great, and a hardware keyboard!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Zaurus
The N900 replaced my Zaurus SL-5500 (with a CF Wifi goiter), a cheap pocket video camera, a compact digital point-and-shoot camera, my Sony Ericsson K550 phone, my palm pilot and my EEE PC. Somewhere on this site I posted a picture of this collection of devices obsoleted by the N900, many of which still powered up!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Here is the link if someone has spare coins to use.

https://m.tori.fi/vi/53169610.htm
Is there really only one picture (of the back!) of the item on that page, or do I have browser or scripting or zealous ad-blocking issues going on?

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
There is at least three photos if I remember correctly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Love that there are other Zaurus SL-5500 users here biketool, robthebold. I took a similar path. And the n900 replace at least my flip phone, gps, camera, ipod and of course pda .

This was my first real long foray into linux after apple abandon the newton .

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I used Nokia 3210 and didn't want to ever touch a smartphone. Then to my responsibility came a job that would be easiest to be able to do it mobile. At that time, just before N900, the iPhone was the only smartphone that could make the webapp usable. I tested it with several different smartphones. Also as a new with smartphones tested how internet works with it and watched a lot youtube. They forgot to mention there was this 5mb/month limit and after that a huge price for each byte. Got for company 800eur bill. Luckily I'm good with words and spoke it down to 30 eur with the operator. My moment on social engineeing. Company didn't have conrtact on iphones so I had to by it by myself. Couple of weeks later they prevented to use that webapp through 3G network. Once in a while I change my sim to 3210 and use that for a while. It's like going from city to nature. There's just you, Nokia bird and the Worm.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-02-02 at 23:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
There is at least three photos if I remember correctly.
I'd also like to know how to get to them. I see one picture with a bar with four dots under it, suggesting that there might be three more. But no visible way to get to them.

Name:  proto.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  16.6 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: