Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Ubuntu Touch > AOSP > Sailfish > iOS

But if I'd list them regarding my preferences, which in my case take into account usefulness and open sourceness, I'd list them as:

Sailfish > AOSP > Ubuntu Touch > iOS
Right! Forgot about Ubuntu. I would guess that AOSP = Ubuntu Touch
but I suppose the bigger problem about openness is baseband or firmware which is likely closed source and where fishy business could take place. I believe this was a problem that outraged some owners of Blu phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
i know that there are rules for the NSA
But those "rules" don't apply foreigners. USA can always do preemptive throne strike to persons who are not US citizens. Nice combination with Phones location data, face detection, etc.

Interesting is that is feels (as an European) that Americans are blindly supporting their government - when reading news like these where those "rules" don't seem to apply?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...citizen-awlaki
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7445031.html
As in in European culture people are always ready to criticize own government and don't trust them at all. Why to give governments the power to suppress opposition?

This is not meant to be rant against US but just wondering where is this world going and why people is not even considering other options except Apple and Google? Especially as I thought that we Europeans would be concerned about Democracy so we would be interested about "European OS".

I guess people like giving the control to our lives to Big Corporation's and Governments owned by Corporation's as long as Tinder and Instagram are working and screen size is big enough.

(sorry for the OT but needed to get it out. )

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Well ,if I remember correctly , Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury described world with big screens etc.

Rumors about/ Nokia symbian no beeing able to make it in US were that the OS was not " government" friendly.

The issue here is the biggest European players France and Germany +GB before brexit) are too conservative and stagnated ( against new ideas). The big player in US made good product and then some institutions N.A C.A are just using those platforms. Beeing too uniform gives too easy way to control things.

Definetelly a big European player is needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Good news for Jolla!

“Mail of Russia” will purchase 15, 000 smartphones on the native OS

The winner of the contest will have to ensure the delivery of 15,000 phones Jolla C or its equivalent in characteristics of devices with support for 2G and 3G, slot for memory cards microSD, GPS and GLONASS, camera resolution of at least 8 megapixels, 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal memory. He also will have to supply protective covers for the devices.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
"Mail of Russia" .... LOL
This company is called RussianPost!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
This company is called RussianPost!
Any "inside scoop" about how the devices will be used, coderus?

Thinking big into the future and putting all puzzle pieces together, they could end up with a barcode scanner TOH and own software to replace the propriatary devices that delivery boys are carrying around to check out the shipped goods

Ok, wild dream aside.
What is the educated guess how RussianPost will use Sailfish?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
My uneducated guess is the same way finnish post seems to use mobile devices to some extent, they use the camera to read the barcode or qr code on the packets. I dont know how widely spread this practise is but the guy who bought my Jolla 3 years ago said he worked at the post office and uses the camera for this purpose

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Any "inside scoop" about how the devices will be used, coderus?

Thinking big into the future and putting all puzzle pieces together, they could end up with a barcode scanner TOH and own software to replace the propriatary devices that delivery boys are carrying around to check out the shipped goods

Ok, wild dream aside.
What is the educated guess how RussianPost will use Sailfish?
It was told in some of articles. Postmans using phones together with bluetooth POS to recieve payments for different kinds of citizen payment services. And yes, camera is used to scan different barcodes to receive payment for certain invoice, rather than filling it's number manually.

RussianPost is more than postal service. It's the only people who can go to your old mother home, receive payments for services and give monthly pension for her, so she doesn't need to go some kilometers to nearest bank or something else.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Russia, in some areas, is far ahead of our Western side

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Russia, in some areas, is far ahead of our Western side
yes i have to agree but as you said not in all aspects... that kind of service for retired people is very nice and ahead though.

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2016-12-24 at 18:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: