Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
So excuse a rather naive question:

My understanding is that MeeGo on the next device is still for all points and purposes Harmattan - which is 'Maemo6'.

The device after the next one will run 'real MeeGo'.

If that's true...and since Nokia never announces if a replacement OS will be able to be run on legacy devices - won't the Harmattan device be the most dead-end product ever invented and buying it will be only of interest to the hackers (again?) as no work will continue on Maemo5/6 after the device comes out.

I thought the Harmattan device was going to be the first device that was really going to be pushed to the mainstream - if so, isn't it rather deceptive (read: lying) of Nokia to release a phone and say that it is running MeeGo whilst knowing that that is just a re-branded name of a Maemo distro and that following devices may well be running an OS that can never be ported back (hello Maemo 5 for N8x0, hello MeeGo for N900?)?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I thought the Harmattan device was going to be the first device that was really going to be pushed to the mainstream - if so, isn't it rather deceptive (read: lying) of Nokia to release a phone and say that it is running MeeGo whilst knowing that that is just a re-branded name of a Maemo distro and that following devices may well be running an OS that can never be ported back (hello Maemo 5 for N8x0, hello MeeGo for N900?)?
Your question would only make sense if Maemo and MeeGo were two different operating systems. They are not. They are just two different GNU/Linux distributions. (And if you look at the components used in both projects, you'll see they're not even all that different.)

On top of all that there's Qt and a user interface layer which is not part of MeeGo, but designed by Nokia - most probably with a look and feel that makes Maemo users feel right at home.

So in the end it'll be a bit like having Ubuntu on one PC and Gentoo on the other - which is what I have at home. The names are different, the package formats are different, Ubuntu comes with its own themes... but to me, it's still the same OS: I run the same applications and edit the same config files in the same places.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Your question would only make sense if Maemo and MeeGo were two different operating systems. They are not. They are just two different GNU/Linux distributions.
Well, I did say it was a naive question

I do, however, in the world of Nokia treat distros as very different taking the whole OS2008-Maemo5-MeeGo situation and incompatibility into consideration.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Here's what Anssi Vanjoki said at MWC in February 2010:

In 2004 when we introduced the first Internet tablet I said, at that time when that was introduced, it would take us five iterations of the software of the platform that will manifest themselves in product and then we have the next generation computer platform after the personal computer (PC). And we have taken four steps, one step is missing. Today we announced the guts of the step, which that it is not only Maemo, but actually it is [also] Moblin, with all the deep level abstraction work that Intel and their community have been doing, with the usability layers of Maemo put together making MeeGo, which really has the potential to be beyond PC. When these real time 24/7 on, always with you, kind of computers, will completely replace these fellows.
Notice that he refers to five iterations of the software, not of the hardware.

If Anssi's memory is correct, his "five-step plan" hails from 2004. Pre-iPhone, in other words. You can be sure that the "plan" will have been changed many times since then. It's not as if, in 2004, Nokia planned that Step 5 would be to merge their software with Intel's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Anssi Vanjoki also referred to the software five-step when the N900 was launched last year:

In 2004 I announced a five-step programme with five generations of software evolution that will come with what will be the next generation of computers.

The Nokia 770 was the first step, the N900 is the fourth. We have one step to go before we will have what we believe is the future of computers.
Not just the future of Nokia Internet Tablets, but the whole future of computers. May as well shoot high, you only have further that you can fall.

Your question would only make sense if Maemo and MeeGo were two different operating systems. They are not. They are just two different GNU/Linux distributions. (And if you look at the components used in both projects, you'll see they're not even all that different.)

On top of all that there's Qt and a user interface layer which is not part of MeeGo, but designed by Nokia - most probably with a look and feel that makes Maemo users feel right at home.

So in the end it'll be a bit like having Ubuntu on one PC and Gentoo on the other - which is what I have at home. The names are different, the package formats are different, Ubuntu comes with its own themes... but to me, it's still the same OS: I run the same applications and edit the same config files in the same places.
Indeed. To me Harmattan is the OS from Nokia that have finally gone full circle and is all about Qt. Symbian^4 following later.
I don't think MeeGo 1.1 will be as big thing to me as a user as Harmattan.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Allow me to make a minor correction:
Qt is originally designed by a norwegian company called Trolltech. Nokia bought Trolltech in June 2008 and thus has taken over the maintenance and further development of Qt.

Sorry for the noise.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Allow me to make a minor correction:
Qt is originally designed by a norwegian company called Trolltech. Nokia bought Trolltech in June 2008 and thus has taken over the maintenance and further development of Qt.

Sorry for the noise.
How would the history of Qt relate to a UI layer build by Nokia on top of MeeGo (which Qt is part of)?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
How would the history of Qt relate to a UI layer build by Nokia on top of MeeGo (which Qt is part of)?
My mistake. I misunderstood what you wrote. I thought, you meant to say, that Nokia designed both Qt and the UI layer.