Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, Python apps are about 6+ MB in Application Manager. WRT apps will be 10+ so they will be easily recognizable too
Thanks for the heads up on WRT apps, was aware of that for Python already. As long as we have the choice to not use the platform that fine. Yes I am aware that it will reduce the number of available apps but worth it for me.

Thans for beig so civil in response too: so much more friendly here than OB seems to think!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Thanks for the info qgil

Will it be possible to disable same-domain restrictions in web runtime apps? i.e. will it be possible to perform AJAX calls to external domains from within a web runtime app.

Still really curious about multimedia access from web runtime, what (if any) will be the preferred way to play audio/video?

Is there any documentation available for this that isn't a slideshow?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Is there any documentation available for this that isn't a slideshow?
Have you checked the third link in my first post? http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technolog...s/Web_Runtime/

There is deeper documentation there including API docs. Although the Web Runtime 2.0 coming to Maemo is more complex, reading about S60 1.x Web Runtime is useful for starters.

We are writing the documentation for 2.0 and this is precisely the reason of this thread.

I was expecting a bit more of developer questions, honestly. I'll try to find some answers to the technical questions in advance once everybody is back from holidays - myself included.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I was expecting a bit more of developer questions, honestly. I'll try to find some answers to the technical questions in advance once everybody is back from holidays - myself included.
Ok here's some others then:

Will there be any way to integrate with the current Maemo theme inside a Web Runtime app? Like a dynamic CSS provided through Web Runtime that would allow me to specify certain classes in my elements to get at the correct gradient backgrounds and colors for instance

Will it be possible to embed the Web Runtime in a 'normal' C/C++/Python based Qt application on Maemo, similar to the way you would embed a QWebView?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Have you checked the third link in my first post? http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technolog...s/Web_Runtime/

There is deeper documentation there including API docs. Although the Web Runtime 2.0 coming to Maemo is more complex, reading about S60 1.x Web Runtime is useful for starters.
All the documentation I've found so far is for S60 Desktop Widgets, I have no desire to develop for S60, and am more interested in a WRT based application than a widget, so I guess I'll have to wait on the new docs. But I'll skim through these.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
qgil, thanks for answering.

Firstly I am actively checking dependancies for Python at present as my personal preference is to avoid it like the plague. I am not a fan of Byte code and virtual machies, especially on a mobile. If this is being released for N900 I seriously hope it comes with a hge banner on associated apps.

If JScript and the bundle of security issues associated with it are bundled in with Maemo 6 and no way is found to disable them then I will be dumping the platform for development and end use. I am all for people having the choice to use this technology but forcing it on users smacks of Steve Jobs and MS. Thanks but no thanks.

Short summary: by all means develop the sub-systems but don't force us down the Android route. If I wanted an Android machine I would have bought one for much less cash.
Echoes my thoughts: will this be optional, and if not, why not? Why break something that works fine?

Please don't make Maemo.6 the first step down.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, Python apps are about 6+ MB in Application Manager. WRT apps will be 10+ so they will be easily recognizable too
Are you sure? I think Attitude showed as much less than that. I don't think the storage cost of python was shown in the Application Manager listing for Attitude.

What is the estimated performance hit compared to native Qt?

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
playing around with it at a lounge a chick walks up to me asks can she see it. show her youtube and she loves how it looks and behaves like an actual desktop. gives me her nunber and says i like your phone.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
playing around with it at a lounge a chick walks up to me asks can she see it. show her youtube and she loves how it looks and behaves like an actual desktop. gives me her nunber and says i like your phone.
wow wrong thread sorry guys.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
Are you sure? I think Attitude showed as much less than that. I don't think the storage cost of python was shown in the Application Manager listing for Attitude.
I meant the installation size of the first python app you install along with all dependencies, regardless of where are they installed. App manager shows 6.3MB for Attitude on my N900.

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
What is the estimated performance hit compared to native Qt?
Very Big. Javascript and HTML are not compiled, they are interpreted. JIT may help, but not much.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: