Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now you lost me there?
You cannot be talking about Jollla, as GPS tracking with it works perfectly and I use it several times a week, both bicycling and hiking in woods.
My longest tracks are over 3h in length, logging coordinates every second and I have never lost points...
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I think handaxe was talking about Ubuntu though the description of it being much the same makes no sense. All the main mobile OSs allow background tasks for audio, GPS etc including iOS.

At this point it's a slightly bizarre state of affairs where a Linux company is being out-multitasked by even iOS and Windows Phone 7.
Indeed, I was talking about Ubuntu Phone and I wrote "much the same" in response to MartinK's comment ("the situation might have improved since then") but sloppily omitted to quote it.

At present, Ubuntu allows certain processes to run in the background but Apps get suspended when not having focus, or when the device sleeps. So right now, GPS tracking is a no no. Clearly, this needs to change and devs indicate that it likely will but exactly in what way remains to be decided.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now you lost me there?
You cannot be talking about Jollla, as GPS tracking with it works perfectly and I use it several times a week, both bicycling and hiking in woods.
My longest tracks are over 3h in length, logging coordinates every second and I have never lost points...
AFAIK at least for Harbour apps this might not be the case - the screen blanking prevention and keepalive have not yet been cleared. This is mostly about the QML API and there seems to be some DBUS using hacks/workarounds, but still not the best possible situation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
AFAIK at least for Harbour apps this might not be the case - the screen blanking prevention and keepalive have not yet been cleared. This is mostly about the QML API and there seems to be some DBUS using hacks/workarounds, but still not the best possible situation.
Indeed, I am using Rena which is not harbour-compatible, mainly doe to use of QtLocation which is not approved interface as of yet.

Screen blanking has no effect on background tasks, neither on Rena which uses QTimer nor with crond for example which uses libiphb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: