Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I don't understand the "UniqID" required. It was not part of the N8** set-up. On the N900 I just used the same name as the "Cache dir".
You did right. This is just an internal ID for the map, it could be anything (as long as it's unique).

I also don't know if that cache directory needs to be set up first before creating a new tile source.
No, it's not necessary.

What version of Maemo Mapper is this program based or sourced from? It doesn't seem to use the newer SQLite map databases and APRS found in Maemo Mapper v2.6.
It is based on v2.6, but to ease the porting I removed all the APRS stuff.
The SQLite databases were removed so that we can share the maps with Maep, eCoach and other map applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by whats_up_skip View Post
I am so glad to hear that someone is continuing the development of the Mapper program (PS Need a better name than this).
Suggestions are welcome, but I'm afraid to lose the current popularity. If you search for maemo+mapper in google, we are quite popular.

Can you give us an idea of what you are planning to work on?

Is there a change log of differences between the "developer" and the current "extras" version?
Yes, but this is a low-level changelog and wouldn't tell much to the end user:
http://vcs.maemo.org/git/maemo-mappe...pper;a=summary
(see the HEADs at the bottom of the page)

Now I'm planning to improve the routing interface a bit, after which I'll start working on the user interface, making some dialogs usable again.

Then I plan to add portrait mode support, plugin support (for example, flickr and google latitude), and many other things :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Do you know of any good forum post or other documentation on the following:

How to define the areas downloaded for off line maps.

Tracking frequency - time or distance traveled.

Originally Posted by mardy View Post
It is based on v2.6, but to ease the porting I removed all the APRS stuff.
The SQLite databases were removed so that we can share the maps with Maep, eCoach and other map applications.
Well that would explain why I haven't seen any updated APRS features..

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Well that would explain why I haven't seen any updated APRS features..
...and there may now be a 2GB limit to a maps cache directory size.
Baby steps I suppose but hopefully mardy will keep plugging away.

I need a decent source for satellite imagery. Google's addy is just not reliable and Yandex doesn't drill down far enough, at least here in the States. Images of Mother Russia though are quite detailed.

Being able to reliably add repositories like Virtual Earth from the device is on my wish list.

BTW mardy, a source of frequent encouragement is another useful benefit of maintaining a forum thread...

SLN member # 009

@YoDude: it should be quite easy to add VirtualEarth maps support, just a matter of using the right URL for the tiles. I'll add it soon, and let you know.

The Following User Says Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
hi mardy love your efforts mate

is there any chance of voice navigation on this application being added or is that a no go for some reason :-)

thanks buddy and keep up the good work

I hope the APRS stuff could get re-added at some point. It was nice having it on my N800.

@buxz777: voice navigation could already work, but the flite binary is missing. It should be quite easy to write a shell script that wraps the eSpeak package, instead.
I'll work on that, but not very soon.

@TA-t3: it's not in my TODO list, but if someone wants to contribute code, I won't stop him. :-)

@YoDude: I just added VirtualEarth maps. To get them:
- click on the title bar
- Maps
- Manage repositories...
- Sync
- click on the title bar
- Maps
- Virtual Earth

There are also satellite and hybrid tile sources, but I didn't enabled them or the map menu would become just too huge. But the tile sources are there, in case you want to create a new repository which uses them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mardy View Post
@buxz777: voice navigation could already work, but the flite binary is missing. It should be quite easy to write a shell script that wraps the eSpeak package, instead.
I'll work on that, but not very soon.

@TA-t3: it's not in my TODO list, but if someone wants to contribute code, I won't stop him. :-)

@YoDude: I just added VirtualEarth maps. To get them:
- click on the title bar
- Maps
- Manage repositories...
- Sync
- click on the title bar
- Maps
- Virtual Earth

There are also satellite and hybrid tile sources, but I didn't enabled them or the map menu would become just too huge. But the tile sources are there, in case you want to create a new repository which uses them.
You're the best Dude!

Hybrid works fine and dandy. VE Hybrid zooms down to 2 in most areas in the states and is reliable. Thanks...

A very useful tool now. I'll start reporting bugs on the tracker now as I will use more often... but please stay active in this thread.

Thanks again!

BTW, there is a way to disconnect the volume control when the zoom functions are mapped to the volume keys. I'll try to find where I read it for you. It is pro'ly not something you would want to mess with until voice navigation is ironed out, if that is a priority..

SLN member # 009