Active Topics

Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
I used attach option in Container app, and used apt-get to install plasma-desktop, and plasma-btowser-integration, then installed Chromium, and it shows nicely now... Also using KDE connect to transfer files from Debian to SF...(I just noticed a package - plasma-workspace - also installed. I can't really remember if I installed that or if it is just part of plasma-desktop...)
And how do you start the plasma-desktop?
It always starts xfce4 for me. I tried to attach the container then start manually with 'plasma_session' command, but that didn't work. When I tried to start from the xfce4 session, it didn't work (obviously).

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
And how do you start the plasma-desktop?
It always starts xfce4 for me. I tried to attach the container then start manually with 'plasma_session' command, but that didn't work. When I tried to start from the xfce4 session, it didn't work (obviously).
My goal was to get Chromium running and laid out properly. I attributed the success of that to the mere installation of the plasma packages, since that was the only thing I did differently from the first time to the second time. I don't know much about plasma, but since you brought it up, I tested it, and plasma_session works for me, if I launch with sudo from terminal within Debian, making a small desktop window at the bottom of the screen, and producing a lock screen after idling for a few minutes ...

But, this is not how I was launching Chromium, but it was just from Application menu on the desktop...

BTW - I still can't get landscape mode by any means - landscape script, kde system settings, plasma settings, xrandr, efc... all fail to have any effect
Attached Images

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-11 at 22:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
more screens
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I have sid running in a container again. My problem is still the keyboard layout under xfce4. I have copied the layout to .lxc/Sid/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols but in xfce4 it doesn't show up in the keyboard settings. How do I make it visible there, so that I can choose it and set it active? I have read that there is an entry necessary in .lxc/Sid/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/endev.xml. but there is also a endev.lst in this folder. Do I have to edit both and what exactly do I have to put in there?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
My goal was to get Chromium running and laid out properly. I attributed the success of that to the mere installation of the plasma packages, since that was the only thing I did differently from the first time to the second time. I don't know much about plasma, but since you brought it up, I tested it, and plasma_session works for me, if I launch with sudo from terminal within Debian, making a small desktop window at the bottom of the screen, and producing a lock screen after idling for a few minutes ...

But, this is not how I was launching Chromium, but it was just from Application menu on the desktop...

BTW - I still can't get landscape mode by any means - landscape script, kde system settings, plasma settings, xrandr, efc... all fail to have any effect
I see! So basically you start plasma from the xfce4. I thought you started the plasma_session without the xfce4. I just have tried this way and worked me too. However, I still have the xfce4 menu bars (top and bottom ones) are still available and the scaling is not quite right.
Here is the result:

For the landscape mode, I would suggest to start xfce4 in landscape first.
Plus, to be able to launch the Chromium browser, you don't need to start plasma. I just installed Chromium and was able to launch from the menu within xfce4 without plasma_desktop.

I'll play with plasma. It would be good if plasma somehow can be started as a default DE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
I see! So basically you start plasma from the xfce4. I thought you started the plasma_session without the xfce4. I just have tried this way and worked me too. However, I still have the xfce4 menu bars (top and bottom ones) are still available and the scaling is not quite right.
Here is the result:
https://i.ibb.co/9WnZ3VR/plasma-on-treltexx1024.png

For the landscape mode, I would suggest to start xfce4 in landscape first.
Plus, to be able to launch the Chromium browser, you don't need to start plasma. I just installed Chromium and was able to launch from the menu within xfce4 without plasma_desktop.

I'll play with plasma. It would be good if plasma somehow can be started as a default DE.
Originally, Chromium installed and ran fine for me too, but I couldn't ge it small enough to use, (as in my first screenshots). Then after installing Plasma packages, it opened and displayed properly.... Not sure why.

I can't get anything to launch in landscape mode, not even xfce. I set landscape as the option in containers settings, I use landscape script, I set the display settings in Linux to rotate - it doesn't matter. Nothing causes landscape rotation ...

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Update - I wiped everything and started from scratch, and now landscape works. I guess I must have done something wrong in setup or something ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Update - I wiped everything and started from scratch, and now landscape works. I guess I must have done something wrong in setup or something ...
At least now it is working.
For me when I start in landscape, it automatically rotates the screen when the xwayland window starts.
Now, you may try again Chromium without plasma.
For me, in plasma, I could change the font size in the windows but not in the menubar down there. So if you know the trick, please let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
At least now it is working.
For me when I start in landscape, it automatically rotates the screen when the xwayland window starts.
Now, you may try again Chromium without plasma.
For me, in plasma, I could change the font size in the windows but not in the menubar down there. So if you know the trick, please let me know.
Everything is better now - Window launches feom app, landscape works,all items appear normally... Not sure what I messed up before ...

One question - Do you know if it's possible to get OnBoard keyboard to show on the Plasma lock screen ?

Thanks for all your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I got the keyboard to work under xfce4. I copied the pro1 xkb directly under .../symbols. Than It's enough to edit .lxc/Sid/usr/share/X11/xkb/endev.xml and to add:
Code:
<layout>
<configItem>
<name>pro1</name>
<shortDescription>pro1</shortDescription>
<description>pro1 deutsch</description>
<languageList>
<iso639Id>de</iso639Id>
</languageList>
</configItem>
<variantList/>
</layout>