Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
It's even worse. There are normal applications, home applets, status bar applets, task navigator applets, control panel applets ...
Clearly they differentiate from the one that resides on the desktop and thats what we're interested in at the moment.

Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
I wish he'd port it to OS2008.
it works fine in OS2008, the only part that doesnt work is the transparency and thats not that big of a deal.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by fastbenny View Post
it works fine in OS2008, the only part that doesnt work is the transparency and thats not that big of a deal.
It's not THAT big of a deal, no, but it is annoying. I'd like to see the transparency issues with both omweather (it now flashes when you change things, instead of being ... uh... transparently transparent) and simplelauncher get resolved.

But, you're right, otherwise both applets work just fine under 2008.

(the other two problems I have with simplelauncher are that 1) it only seems to find the skype and/or rhapsody installer and not the actual application once you've installed the actual application; and 2) it only allows one row of application icons, where it would be nice to use arbitrary row and column configurations)

(and, don't suggest IDEA -- annoying applet to work with ... I'd rather do without than use IDEA)

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
2) it only allows one row of application icons, where it would be nice to use arbitrary row and column configurations)

(and, don't suggest IDEA -- annoying applet to work with ... I'd rather do without than use IDEA)
I completely concur - an ObjectDock-like row of multiple launchers wud b better.

What is IDEA? I googled to find nothing

Yeah, IDEA is hard to find via google. It's another launcher. It has the benefit of greater configurability (especially, it can be arranged in multiple rows), but I find certain aspects of it very annoying (especially the way the icon you click "ducks" and all the other icons "shimmy" when you click). This may have changed, I haven't used it in a while, and I don't even know if it's available for OS2008... but here it is: http://idea.garage.maemo.org/

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
My main problem with it is that configuring it is a complete pain in the ***. You have to jump back and forth between two different screens (one for layout of buttons, one for the application that is tied to the button). IMO, it has a very low usability rating.

A rather classic example of "very useful, but not very usable" :-}

Hello,

Tasty new applets have come my way since this thread's initiation. But the beginning has been dismal.

I have installed the following applets:

- homememfree 0.0.6
- homenetstats 0.0.6
- homeip 0.0.6
- homecpuspeed 0.0.6

All have been installed directly from maemo.org. They appear in the Application manager too after installation.

However, on selecting them in 'Select Applets' and pressing OK, they do not appear on the desktop.

I next attempted to install one of them by downloading & transfering it from my PC, again to no avail.

Note that all pre-installed applets run normally, i.e. (dis)appear on (de)selecting them in 'Select Applets'.

Would greatly appreciate advise.

Best,
wirefree

UPDATE: The famous "Other Maemo Weather" applet does not even install. The following error is generated:

"Unable to install omweather. Incompatible application package."

The above is despite of the applet being listed on the N810 OS2008 page.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Better install all these from Extras.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Better install all these from Extras.
Could you please ellaborate on your recommendation.

The 'Extras' menu simply lists installed application.