Active Topics

Dear Board.

Nokia N770 Hacker edition 4.2007.46-3
http://os2007on770.garage.maemo.org/
(SU-18_2007HACKER_4.2007.46-3_PR_F5_MR0_ARM)
is available and I'd like to have here some feedbacks.

How will it Work?
Media capabilities, do they work also?
And ofcource : Can there be Skype installed and will it Work?

Yours,
keen intrests.

The Following User Says Thank You to realjobe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Wierd - when (and perhaps more importantly, why) did this version sneak out? Judging from the build date in the filename it was created within a week of the previous version which was released on 14 November... why has it taken so long for this version to appear or has it just been noticed?

The only obvious difference is that the new FIASCO image at 89,791,821 bytes is 5MB smaller than the previous version which came in at 94,897,997 bytes - perhaps this new build is without debug? Or perhaps new/smaller multimedia files (video/audio etc.)

Will give it a try later.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
It is an old one but still you could have missed it
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...750#post106750

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Thanks fanoush - I normally keep a backup of all the firmwares... surprised I missed this one!

EDIT: So this new version (46-3) fixes just the WiFi memory corruption? If that's the only stated fix, what else could account for the significant 5MB reduction in FIASCO size? Maybe it's this "cleaned rootfs" Joni mentions.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2008-01-08 at 15:44.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Maybe it's this "cleaned rootfs" Joni mentions.
yes, it is about those /var2 /var3 directories left there by mistake, see posts above the forum link in my previous post here.

I wonder about that 'cannot change regional settings' bug but guess fix is not there.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
i have been running with 46-3 for a week. It is much more stable than previous HE versions (I had to reflash every 4-5 days).
I currently have claws mail, vnc and pidgin installed - and use rss + microB browser.
It still slows to a crawl sometimes - but recovers if I´m patient

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
i have been running with 46-3 for a week. It is much more stable than previous HE versions (I had to reflash every 4-5 days).
I currently have claws mail, vnc and pidgin installed - and use rss + microB browser. It still slows to a crawl sometimes - but recovers if I´m patient
It's great to hear what others are doing with this device. Personally I can not come up with anything else that Skype use for this one.

eMail, Web, Media and music is out, due to a much greater devices around. GPS (maeomo Mapper) is nice, but there is no Wlan/3G around here all the time. UPnP server's music (twonky) is sometimes used backyard..
MPG2 stream via SMB is also out because the Device does not have the muscle even for Mpeg1 VCD quality.

Does this have VLC players also? (perhaps transcoding from DreamBox)...

I installed this image 46-3 yesterday and naturally all went perfectly. Wlan was connected like easy. In appllication manager there were (without any new repositorys added) Skype UI (4.4MB) and I installed that one. After EULA and icon location, Skype will show spalsh, but after that ot drops.

Are there something else I need to install (UI referes only for UI, is there engine also?) or will the Skype be out of reach.

skype sites' skype.install did not work. Unknown version or something was the error.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm playing 400x240 content perfectly on the 770, even streaming it transcoded by mediaserv. I must say the quality can't get much better even with n800.

About Skype - there is a thread in this forum about it.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-01-09 at 07:59.

Skype for N770? Can you link me?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ight=skype+770
you should not be afraid of the search button, it does not bite