Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
more than negotiations probably, given that they killed both the X7 and the nuron 2 so close before scheduled release.
really seems like symbian's gonna be the victim.
Both phones meant for USA market and Nokia execs have been saying for long time that MeeGo is the OS targeted for NA. There was just a thread today about people complaining about Symbian getting much more updates on the bug lists concerning Qt compared to MeeGo.

Imo Symbian is the last OS Nokia will be throwing out, but i guess after hearing it from couple of sources for 3 years you start to actually believe it.

As of what Elop said it can mean anything(or nothing). Maybe something with the lighhouse project, maybe Microsoft is bringing wave of soft to OVI store, maybe some agreements with some other app store and some Qt love, maybe Elop tries to explain to the investors that what the hell this qt even is.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-01-27 at 21:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
more than negotiations probably, given that they killed both the X7 and the nuron 2 so close before scheduled release.
really seems like symbian's gonna be the victim.
For the US possibly but not the rest of the world as far as I can see, not yet anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
I think Symbian is safe. Sales + Ovi Store downloads are healthy so it would be stupid to throw all that away.

Elop wants a strategy that is "simple" and "elegant", starting a whole new eco-system with Meego doesnt sound so simple.

Originally Posted by mohannad View Post
I think Symbian is safe. Sales + Ovi Store downloads are healthy so it would be stupid to throw all that away.

Elop wants a strategy that is "simple" and "elegant", starting a whole new eco-system with Meego doesnt sound so simple.
And MeeGo needs Symbian, hopefully someday Symbian also needs MeeGo.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ staffordshire, uk
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
What about the idea of Nokia turning into a more hardware centric company?
I bet in the future we could upgrade our devices (I wonder if they'd be called 'phones' at all) just like we upgrade our PCs today - e.g add/remove hardware to/from it.
So how about Nokia going to that direction by shipping fully opened devices, stocked with MeeGo/Symbian, but with the possibility to install WP7/Android/Whatever on it, effectively making Nokia a hardware vendor?
Of course some adaptations would be needed, but maybe they could provide some quick means for that...

Just a thought
that would be pretty awesome an makes alot of sense, have drop in centres to buy/sell an exchange parts an also give users/customers choice an freedom to what they want in a device,

ahhh we can all dream can't we

It's not often the stuff i type is helpful/useful so say thanks if it is

The Following User Says Thank You to try-alls For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
What about the idea of Nokia turning into a more hardware centric company?
I bet in the future we could upgrade our devices (I wonder if they'd be called 'phones' at all) just like we upgrade our PCs today - e.g add/remove hardware to/from it.
So how about Nokia going to that direction by shipping fully opened devices, stocked with MeeGo/Symbian, but with the possibility to install WP7/Android/Whatever on it, effectively making Nokia a hardware vendor?
Of course some adaptations would be needed, but maybe they could provide some quick means for that...

Just a thought
I think that might be an option if Nokia were an Asian company, but I doubt a corporation in a high wage, generous social safety net country like Finland could compete with asian manufacturers as a hardware-only company. I think the same reasoning means they can't just become a manufacturer of Android or (especially) WP7 phones, which will soon be commodity products.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2011-01-27 at 22:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
What they have a problem with is
a) marketing and communications and
b) services and integration (including things like the infamous Ovi Suite and various Ovi services)
These things wouldn't change really, would they?
Spot on lad! :-) I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by lore; 2011-01-27 at 22:17.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Palm/HP is my guess of ecosystems in cooperation.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
So Nokia sold over 28 million smartphones last quarter, including over 5 million Symbian^3 devices, its 7th consecutive quarter of increasing smartphone sales. They sold twice the number of smartphones as Apple (Android overall is approaching symbian levels, but that is not just one manufacturer) and sold 123 million phones worldwide.

I understand they are hurting badly in the US market, but why would they abandon an OS that has about 1/3 of the smartphone market worldwide? The idea that they would pick up Windows mobile 7, which shipped (not even sold) two million copies of their phone OS last quarter is ludicrous.

They have lots to do to break back into the US market, but if they can manage to do so the only direction for them is up. They could probably make serious inroads by pushing the E7 up against the blackberry for business users. But their problem here is the carriers. I love the fact that I have a phone that I own with no contract on T-Mobile. I am not sure what kind of no-contract deals AT&T offers, but the newest phones coming out from Nokia work fully with either carrier (and probably some of the smaller regional carriers as well). If they could bypass the carriers for sales and hook up directly with big chains like Best Buy and Office Depot and Frys, they could position the E7, N8, and N9 (as well as the C and X series) as a completely different type of deal for consumers. Many would see that kind of freedom from carrier contracts as a HUGE advantage over the well known situation iPhone users have faced with AT&T for years.

I won't hold my breath for the US retail sales, though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
If they could bypass the carriers for sales and hook up directly with big chains like Best Buy and Office Depot and Frys, they could position the E7, N8, and N9 (as well as the C and X series) as a completely different type of deal for consumers.
They do this already, at least with Fry's. The problem is that the REAL price of a cell phone is higher than most people expect, and the carriers play stupid games to "discount" a phone by getting you into an overpriced 2 year contract. Of course, you'll effectively pay for it and then some, and bringing your own you get no discount. Lack of device portability across US carriers and contracts with punitive ETFs inhibit the ability for the end user to actually shop for deals.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org