Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
What I have done here is take a 4 port USB 2.0 HUB and replaced it's non-OTG Male-A cable with an OTG mini-B. It is a sweet N800 USB hub now. I just plug it in and N800 OS2008 host mode is triggered. I can plug in all sorts of USB devices, which work.

I have successfully used this set-up (see photos) with SanDisk Cruser memory stick/jump drive, a USB Compact Flash, Smart Media, MMC reader, a USB keyboard. Note: Each device worked in the hub fine (without power) so long as the N800 wasn't asked for too much juice. To use the keyboard, USB card reader and Cruzer jump drive simultaneously the hub needed to be powered using the supply in the photos.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
hmmm...start marketing it!..don't overprice...

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Is there any need to make software changes or install any software on N800?

Thanks...

Great Work!
That is exactly what I want for a long time since I bought Nokia N800. Could you tell it in detail how to make this sweet equipment for N800? A circuit diagram will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Thmos John View Post
Great Work!
That is exactly what I want for a long time since I bought Nokia N800. Could you tell it in detail how to make this sweet equipment for N800? A circuit diagram will be very helpful.

Thanks!
The circuit wiring is a no brainer. It is described in many places on this site and on the Internet. Basically you tie pins 4 and 5 together on the Mini-B USB plug and wire 1,2,3,4 to the hub's Printed Circuit Board just as it is were a Female A receptacle. The hub gets +5V from a wall wort (see photo above).

EDIT: I got this all working with an external Hard Disk Drive today. See it here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=18

Also, here is a little pigtail I made: (pins are 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, with 4 & 5 on the mini-B tied together). It can be used for low power USB peripherals like keyboards and flash memory sticks.

M5
Attached Images

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-01-03 at 22:50.

Would a USB mouse work with this setup???

Originally Posted by ezhill View Post
Would a USB mouse work with this setup???
I do not think so.

Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
The circuit wiring is a no brainer. It is described in many places on this site and on the Internet. Basically you tie pins 4 and 5 together on the Mini-B USB plug and wire 1,2,3,4 to the hub's Printed Circuit Board just as it is were a Female A receptacle. The hub gets +5V from a wall wort (see photo).

EDIT: I got this all working with an external Hard Disk Drive today. See it here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=18

Also, here is a little pigtail I made: (pins are 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, with 4 & 5 on the mini-B tied together). I can be used for low power USB peripherals like keyboards and flash memory sticks.

M5
Would there be any issues just connecting an unmodified USB hub to your pigtail adapter? Seems like you can buy these OTG minib to female usb A adapters.. Someone suggested directron.. and I found this other link:

http://www.twstore.com/adaptors-usb.html

TIA!

I made a pig tail adapter and connected and connected a regular unpowered USB hub to it. it worked and was able to connect 2 memory sticks to it and they showed up in file manager.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
I made one about an hour ago and it worked like a charm.
Thanks xxM5xx for your help.

I conected a powered USB HUB with 2 pendrives a USB keyboard and a 6Gb external disk.

Worked like a charm.

Nice piece of hardware/software this Nokia N800 (OS2008)

The Following User Says Thank You to eluis For This Useful Post: