Like all of you, I'm pretty excited about the pending launch of the 770. In doing my homework, though, I was wondering about support for certain file types. There are certain file types that I come across when browsing and was wondering what kind of support I could expect on the 770 both initially and potentially down the road, either via Nokia or 3rd party apps.

- QuickTime?

- MS Office File (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) Viewers?

- The banking thread talks a little about Java. I'm no expert here, so I'm confused about what we can expect. The thread says that with no built-in Java runtime, Java applets will not run. So what does the JavaScript Core 1.5 support stated in the Nokia's official 770 FAQ allow for? Any possibility there will be a 3rd party tool for Java runtime?

- Windows Media Files (probably never huh?)

By the way, any word on an extended length battery?

Thanks.

Jeff

The potential is endless once the developers get their hands on the device, but the initial release will not support Quicktime, Office formats, or WMV.

The device supports Javascript but not Java. Once again this can be, and probably will be, made available through 3rd party development.

As far as the battery, who knows. It would be a challenge...if at all possible.

With abiword, we can open MSWord doc.

And with gnumeric, we can open MSExcel xls

Thanks for the replies. PowerPoint is probably the least common office file I come across of the 3, so it's good to see solutions already for the other 2. I assumed lots could be done via 3rd party but as is always the case, it's a question of what has been completed and what is being worked on. Thanks again.

Jeff

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I have to admit that I'm not clear on what the Mono announcement really means for 770 users. But the site does say that Mono "can run .NET, Java, Python and more."

So does that mean we can say Java does run on the 770? Under all circumstances, or special circumstances? Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

-- Roger

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Effectively there is a port of a Java Virtual Machine which runs on top of Mono, and uses the GNU Classpath libraries to provide the standard Java classes (such as java.io.File etc.)

It's not that big a think as a direct port of a JVM to Maemo shouldn't be too hard - and using the GNU Classpath libraries will get a good degree of compatibility.

That'll allow some degree Java support for Java-based applications, but is still a long way from Java applets embedded in web pages.