Why would such a cool device lack a camera? Any thoughts?

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
It does seem as though Nokia envisioned the 770 as partnering with a cell-phone -- to connect to the internet when broadband is unavailable, to provide certain functions on its own (address book with phone numbers), and maybe to be the device that holds the camera.

While I agree with the decision now -- in order to hold down the cost of introducing the internet tablet -- I could see with a camera onboard how easy it would be to take a picture, edit it and email it or post it to my blog.

Well, as somebody said, it's not a Swiss Army knife, it's an Internet browser. I bought my own the very day it came out (still waiting and cursing myself for not selecting the Express delivery option...!) but I would definitely not have been interested if the device had had a camera. Or a phone. Or an N-Gage-compatible system. Or a flashlight. Or a potato pealer.

I believe in good, specialized tools, not in equipment that tries to be umpteen different things, succeeding fairly in all of them. Gimme a good, separate digital camera that communicates with the 770 and I'm happy.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Are there Bluetooth cameras, I wonder?

Originally Posted by zupidupi
Well, as somebody said, it's not a Swiss Army knife, it's an Internet browser. I bought my own the very day it came out (still waiting and cursing myself for not selecting the Express delivery option...!) but I would definitely not have been interested if the device had had a camera. Or a phone. Or an N-Gage-compatible system. Or a flashlight. Or a potato pealer.

I believe in good, specialized tools, not in equipment that tries to be umpteen different things, succeeding fairly in all of them. Gimme a good, separate digital camera that communicates with the 770 and I'm happy.
Good points.

I have a Treo 600 and, personally, like to carry as little stuff as possible. The idea of a device that can do a whole lot of different tasks atracts me. For real browsing I use a laptop, and for real pictures, a good camera.

If this device was meant only for browsing, it would not run Linux, which is probably it's strongest feature, IMHO.

Those are good points, too! And sure, I expect to do lots more than just browsing and email-reading with the 770. But it's not the expanded hardware I'm interested in, it's the expandable software platform. I want to replace my moleskin notebooks and my calendar with the 770 - and when I go photographing I'll take my digital camera from the shelf. But it's true, the vision of quickly uploading snapshots to your own website, wherever you are, is rather tempting...