Notices

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Ah, I compiled and added that version before the beta... it's not a leaked copy. (It has a lot more dependencies, and has a print feature.) It hasn't been updated in a while since I ran out of free time. The latest betas are probably more stable.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
rickybrent.com repo is by no means an official one.

All gone quiet on the Abiword front again I see. Any news on progress please?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Help us, megabyte405; you're our only hope.

Does anyone know if even the partially functional AbiWord we've been testing will be available on Diablo?

I have it installed currently on Diablo but I confess that I havent used it so far. Having said that I suspect it will still operate as much as before.

RichS

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you are willing to untar a 1GB disk image onto your SD card, there's a fully functional but non-Hildonized version of AbiWord in my Debian chroot application package, along with OpenOffice and Firefox 3 (Iceweasel). Go over here for instructions on how to install it.

There's a new package coming in a week or so that will make everything automagical, but this one works fine if you don't mind typing a few commands in xterm. Some guy in that thread claims he just got his tablet and he's never used Linux before and he's up and running.

How well does abiword function on the NIT using this method? Do you lose any features? Do the normal controls still work with it? Also, how easy is it to switch between abiword and any of the normal tablet programs?

Originally Posted by heron61 View Post
How well does abiword function on the NIT using this method? Do you lose any features? Do the normal controls still work with it? Also, how easy is it to switch between abiword and any of the normal tablet programs?
It is a fully functional AbiWord; it is like a desktop wordprocessor shoehorned onto the tablet. It is more integrated than OpenOffice, it has an icon on the left-hand panel of OS2008, so switching is simple. OpenOffice isn't very integrated, and it is slow, but if you want to try it, its available too.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Qole, I noticed that you added OpenGL to your Debian prg (or at least to your signature). But I use/code for OpenGL/SDL all the time in Maemo. Is there any advantage to using it under Debian?