Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I gave up on gvm today, after an on the road crash lost data. I am now running my daybook on GPE Calendar and my financials (inadequately) on my bank's website.

There is one problem with GPE: the week calendar runs Monday to Sunday rather than Sunday to Saturday, and the time entries in Summary show 24-hour time. I cannot find a method of changing these to my preferences anywhere.

Don't bother responding if the solution innvolves xterm.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I am having a weird issue with GPE Calendat and Google Calendar. I have Erming set-up and the sync seems to go well, except that times are always changed. Both Google and GPE/n810 are set to Eastern Time, but the appointments always end up changing times and I can't seem to figure out why.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
Yeah, that Mon-Sun thing bothers me, too. I wish there was a way to change it; otherwise I like GPE calendar + erminig a whole lot.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I've filed this as a bug, and at least one other person filed a related one.

I consider it's a bug because it doesn't match the dropdown calendars.

All we can do is wait, unless you have coding skills...

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
I have (re)built gpe-calendar using the latest experimental distribution (svn20080509) at cobb.uk.net. I modified the program to start the week on Sunday, and also made the close button exit rather than iconify.

Here's how to get it. Note that my instructions make you update your GPE programs to the experimental versions. I'm not sure if you can just grab the .deb file and install, but you may as well try.

First, go into the Application Manager and add the experimental repository. In Application Manager, select the "Tools->Application catalog..." menu. Click the "New" button and enter the following information.

Code:
Catalog name: Cobb experimental
Web address:  http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt
Distribution: chinook
Components:   experimental
Click the "OK" button and allow the application list to refresh.

If you have previously installed any of the GPE applications, go to the Application Manager's "Main view" and click on the "Check for updates" button. Install the GPE updates. If you haven't installed GPE Calendar before, click on the "Browse installable applications" button instead. As of the date of this post, the current experimental version is 2.8+maemo+svn20080509-1.

NOTE: You will probably need to enable Red Pill mode to install the .deb by downloading with the browser.

Click on the attached .deb file to install the modified GPE Calendar.

EDIT!!! It looks like the first .deb was bad. Sorry! When I click the "X" close button, the gpe-calendar still runs in the background. I think it has to do with propagation of the 'delete-event'. I've uploaded a new replacement .deb. Please give it a try.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpe-calendar_2.8+maemo+svn20080509-1_armel.deb (117.2 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by terrencegf; 2008-05-30 at 03:04. Reason: Bad .deb!!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
terrence: Is there any chance this could be submitted as a patch? I don't know if the close vs iconify would make it in without a configuration option (iconify is the intended behaviour to allow alarms to trigger)

Of course, if GPE used alarmd there would be no need to keep it open. Now THAT would be an extremely useful change!

Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
terrence: Is there any chance this could be submitted as a patch? I don't know if the close vs iconify would make it in without a configuration option (iconify is the intended behaviour to allow alarms to trigger)
I understand the need to keep gpe-calendar open for alarms, but making the "X" close button iconify the application is IMO extremely non-standard, especially when the iconify button already iconifies the application. I get that they are trying to prevent people from quitting the application unintentionally, but it bugs the heck out of me.

As for a "patch", all I did was append "=1" to the "gboolean week_starts_sunday" line in "main.c". It appears that there is supposed to be a way to set this value via XSettings, but I have no idea how to get XSettings working on maemo.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
If the gpe calendar applet worked, we wouldn't need to leave the calendar open for alarms.

/usr/share/applications/hildon-home/gpe-calendar-home.desktop lists libgpe-calendar-applet.so

That file isn't present when you install hence it failiing to load.

Rats! It looks like I messed up. When I click the "X" close button, the gpe-calendar process still runs in the background. I think it has to do with the way the 'delete-event' propagates through the event stack. I've made a modification which hopefully fixes it. Please download the new .deb from my post above. Let me know if you experience any problems. Sorry!

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
terrencegf inspired me to look into GPE a little bit. I had always wondered why the "GPE Calendar" home plugin would not work, and found that it was because it had never been converted to OS2008. I fixed it up a bit and got it running on my tablet. It is interesting but very simplistic compared to GPE Summary.

I then turned my attention to "GPE Summary" thinking that the only thing missing was the ability to monitor for alarms. I added some code to have it do just that, with the result that I no longer have to have GPE Calendar open to trigger alarm events. This is a big improvement to me, so I will include the package here.

I emailed the patch to Graham (the maintainer of the Maemo packages) so hopefully this become official if I did it right. I have test with the calendar opened and closed, and it works as I expect. Feel free to comment on whether it works for you or not.

Now if you use my gpesummary packages and terrencegf's gpe-calendar package, you should have a PIM suite that acts a bit more like you would probably expect. The calendar closes when you hit the close button, and alarms still trigger without the calendar being open.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpesummary_2.8+maemo+svn20080509-3_armel.deb (17.3 KB, 222 views)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post: