Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
can someone explain why my tablet is telling me there is an update for modest but when i click to update it it downloads then say "unable to update modest" and it doesnt give me a reason.

i believe it is because you and i have boloxed up our repositories and app manager is pointing to the wrong repository

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i think i figured it out...do not have the modest package repository in your catalog....i took itnoff mine and that solved the modest update problem. the thing i dont understand is a couple things ive went to install says im missing packages that ARE installed. kernel-diablo-flasher being one.....same kind of shite that i dealt with when chinook was released

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
ernel-diablo-flasher being one.....same kind of shite that i dealt with when chinook was released
I guess I'm just going to keep quoting this one all of the website until somebody pays attention:

Code:
apt-get -f install
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
For anybody wondering about the flash-and-reboot, kernel-diablo-flasher and initfs flasher dependencies. This message from Marius Vollmer on -users explains it rather nicely.
The osso-software-version-rx44 package exists twice: once in your device
and once in the "Nokia System Software Updates" repository. These two
instances of the package have the same version, but different
dependencies (stupid, I know, see below). The
osso-software-version-rx44 in the repository additionally depends on the
three packages that you list in the subject.

Apt-get uses the information from the repository, which results in the
error message you see. Running apt-get -f install will fix it. The
Application manager is not affected by this, it simply ignores the
problem and carries on. After the first OS update, the problem goes
away.

It's a bug of course that the two instances of
osso-software-version-rx44 are not identical. The additional
dependencies in the repository instance are used to (as you might have
guessed to control flashing of the kernel and initfs during a OS
update. The osso-software-version-rx44 instance in the flash image does
not need them, and I didn't see the problem with this because I wasn't
thinking. (I don't reflash my devices anymore, so I didn't run into
this problem myself...)

Yep, it's a bit embarassing, but should have no bad consequences other
than having to run "apt-get -f install" once (or disabling the "Nokia
System Software Updates" repository) before you can use apt-get on the
command line.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I guess I'm just going to keep quoting this one all of the website until somebody pays attention:

Code:
apt-get -f install
hey i got it...may be one off the only oines...

i have "apt-get -f install"ed and still have the problem General

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
I think I have the same problem, even after "apt-get -f install"ing.

One symptom is that after "Check for Updates" in the App Mgr, I get a buttload of entry pairs in the log like this:

apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: matchbox-window-manager 2:1.2-osso18
apt-worker: /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_dists_chinook_free_binary-armel_Packages

There are a few other log entries as well. Yes, I cleared the log before running this, and no, I don't know what these entries mean.

I can't really tell if it's degrading my IT performance but it doesn't seem right. (I was still able install the one update that came up and successfully installed "Othello" as a test.)
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've been trying to update through the app manager but get the same three dependencies. To make it more interesting, I'm running off a 1.5 gig partition on the external SD with ye'old boot menu. If I drop the other two dependencies in place, will it blow away my boot menu or do I simply need to do another initfs_flash to replace the menu afterward?

initfs-flasher
kernel-diablo-flasher

I hate leaving any OS unpatched but not waiting longer before updating to Diablo has already blocked me from a number of my regular tools (been adding to the extras list since yesterday). Am I going to be starting over from a clean install a second time in two days?

The 810 is a fantastic bit of hardware; I just thought I'd actually ask before I started pushing buttons for once.

(update): I'm too impatient with my tech toys and couldn't wait so it looks like I'm doing another cloning from internal to SD. Hopefully this is just early adopters pains and won't require rebuilding the boot menu any time an update makes use of the flasher packages.

Well crap. "Unable to update Operating System"

to update; libxml2 (2.6.27.dfsg-1.maemo1)
to update; libdb4.2 (4.2.52+dfsg-2)
missing; libdb4.2 (= 4.2.52-18osso)
missing; libxml2 (= 2.6.27.dfsg-1osso4)

I'll try by apt get with a forced install and hope for the best but those dependency issues are becoming reminiscently of Red Hat; dhell, how I've missed thee.

Last edited by Neon Samurai; 2008-07-06 at 01:45. Reason: status update leading to dependency issues

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
The missing dependencies
flash-and-reboot
initfs-flasher
kernel-diablo-flasher
have been fixed by the 4.2008.30-2 software update that has been made available today.