Hey, I was trying to mess with my phone to create more space...and i followed the instructions under the clean n900 thingy here, and voila i moved some folders from there root to /etc and then there was "space". But the folders i moved affect the phone badly...I have reflashed it again for recovery...anyway...Is there another way to clean up the phone without destroying it every 1 time ? thankx..

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ojiprince View Post
Is there another way to clean up the phone without destroying it every 1 time ?
Yes. You could search for what the folder you are about to move are used for, just move them can have a badly effect as you know now, move a folder and then make a symbolic link may be better sometimes.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Are you a troll?

If not, please re-read the tutorial and try again, OR consider whether you really need more rootfs space.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Yes it will!!

In other news:

WATER WET!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ojiprince View Post
Hey, I was trying to mess with my phone
You have succeeded.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Do not do drugs, they are unhealthy!!!!!!!!1111

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
P.S. /etc is on rootfs, not on the 32GB eMMC. So any space you "freed" didn't actually free anything, just moved it around.

At any rate, if you had read whatever tutorial you followed, you would know that moving it to /etc is not useful for freeing space. That or the tutorial was misinfortmative...

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Do note that du on files on the root - lies to you!
The rootfs is compressed, and as long as you aren't hitting 50MB free space, you're fine. I don't know what could cause you to hit 50MB free space, unless you stored every NITDroid kernel ever made on /boot.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Do note that du on files on the root - lies to you!
The rootfs is compressed, and as long as you aren't hitting 50MB free space, you're fine. I don't know what could cause you to hit 50MB free space, unless you stored every NITDroid kernel ever made on /boot.
are you saying that the rootfs shouldn't be less than 50mb?
i have mine running under 50mb (45.8 to be exact) and it works just fine. and no, i didn't install nokia sdk or extremely non optimized apps (incl. nitdroid on rootfs )
in fact, as far as i can recall, i only have less than 60mb tops on the rootfs (that is after installing bunch of apps)

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
This one enable you to free some space in rootfs http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Tanner#Sa...pace_on_rootfs
and this might give you more space to install applications http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning..._compatible.29

Tags
best thread evr