I got my Nokia 770 yesterday (bought it brand new from eBay) and everything worked fine for a few hours and I loved it. I even got the GPS Bluetooth Receiver and tested it out and it worked. After a few times of trying to run GAIM and having it freeze, it just froze and wouldn't turn off, so I unplugged the battery. Ever since then, I've been trying to turn it on, but all it gives me is a white screen for like 30 seconds and then it turns back off. I've tried it with the AC Power plugged in. I also left the battery removed all night yesterday, and it still isn't turning on. Any suggestions? If I reflash the memory, would it work or is this a hardware problem? How can I reflash it if I'm on a Windows PC? Thank you all for your help!

P.S. Nokia won't honor the warranty because I don't have a recepit

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
No idea really: reflashing it won't do any harm.

As for them not honouring the warranty due to the lack of a receipt, if I were in your situation I'd play merry hell with them. The 770 was only launched in November: not one device could be out of warranty yet!

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ NH USA
Originally Posted by kutibah
I got my Nokia 770 yesterday (bought it brand new from eBay) and everything worked fine for a few hours and I loved it. I even got the GPS Bluetooth Receiver and tested it out and it worked. After a few times of trying to run GAIM and having it freeze, it just froze and wouldn't turn off, so I unplugged the battery. Ever since then, I've been trying to turn it on, but all it gives me is a white screen for like 30 seconds and then it turns back off. I've tried it with the AC Power plugged in. I also left the battery removed all night yesterday, and it still isn't turning on. Any suggestions? If I reflash the memory, would it work or is this a hardware problem? How can I reflash it if I'm on a Windows PC? Thank you all for your help!

P.S. Nokia won't honor the warranty because I don't have a recepit
My 770 will display a white screen and then shut down when the battery is depleted. I would insert the battery and recharge for a couple of hours and then attempt a turn-up. I think you will be all set.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in agreeance with Paden. My 770 did a battery dump when I popped it once and I got the white screen. After leaving it charging for 10 minutes, it had enough juice that it could boot up and continue charging while I used it.

Did your white screen also have 2 white gray lines in the center as well? Anyways, I left it plugged in the AC Charger. When I get back home tonight (8 hours from now) I'll check. I hope this is the problem. Otherwise, I'll make an invoice receipt and send it in for warranty. Thanks guys!

Here´s another one... I left my new unit(got it yesterday!) in the charger over night in order to have a full battery in the morning...

Surprisingly, it wouldn´t start a all
Got home after work to charge it again and got the "ghost" white screen as described above after plugging in the charger.

My conclusion is so far that the 770 won´t charge while the unit isswitched off. Some recommendation said that it preferringly is charged turned on. Question is: is this a requirement??

Are this problem on unit in the last batch orders, or what?

Still charging....

Originally Posted by tolou
Here´s another one... I left my new unit(got it yesterday!) in the charger over night in order to have a full battery in the morning...

Surprisingly, it wouldn´t start a all
Got home after work to charge it again and got the "ghost" white screen as described above after plugging in the charger.

My conclusion is so far that the 770 won´t charge while the unit isswitched off. Some recommendation said that it preferringly is charged turned on. Question is: is this a requirement??

Are this problem on unit in the last batch orders, or what?

Still charging....
So if you need to turn it on to charge it, how do I charge it if it won't even turn out? Also, are you seeing 2 gray light bars in the center of the screen?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The grey bars sound like it's dead to me... sorry. I had a pure white screen. I noticed that when the battery got too low, I couldn't charge it with the sleeve on. I plugged it on with the sleeve off, turned it on, and it sat on a white screen for an hour or so. Turning it 'on' again booted the unit.

Mine boots up, still white or with some grey lines all over the screen.

It even gives the boot up sound, and you can se that the grey lines are changing somewhat during the process.

I just got home and tried to power it on (after being plugged in the charger for 8 hours) and yet no luck.

Tolou, what's happening to you is exactly the same for me. Mine starts out with like 4 gray lines and then changes to 2 before shutting off. I am also getting the sound confirming it is on. But it just won't boot!!! Can it be saved or should I just send it in for warranty?

Last edited by kutibah; 2006-03-23 at 23:47.