Posts: 105 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Dec 2015 @ Spain
I have ordered Onda V820W V3 It arrives on next week

So mine will be v3 too, I think we can investigate together. How is the global perform of Sailfish here?

Last edited by ferlanero; 2016-10-29 at 20:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ferlanero View Post
I have ordered Onda V820W V3 It arrives on next week

So mine will be v3 too, I think we can investigate together. How is the global perform of Sailfish here?
The hardware mostly works, but I need to look into adapting better touch screen driver, as was discussed before, and try to implement OTA.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Hi guys! I'm trying to install your Sailfish port into a Onda v820w v3.

I have downloaded your image from Mega (https://mega.nz/#!8FZRiBwB!FBBD8CUMa...Qp713VqT-FoAhM)

Extracted it into a 4Gb USB 2.0 memory stick, but when I boot from that memory stick (which tablet recognises without any problem), the loader shows:

Code:
error: file /boot/grub/locale/ru.gmo not found
After that, the Grub loads trying to load the "archlinux-2016.08.13-flash-sfos.iso" but it fails again showing the next error:

Code:
error: file '/boot/archlinux-2016.08.13-flash-sfos.iso' not found.
error: disk 'loop' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
I can't figure what is wrong. Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Ok, first problem solved.

The

Code:
error: file /boot/grub/locale/ru.gmo not found
solved commenting the

Code:
set lang=ru_RU
line in grub.cfg

It should looks like:

Code:
# set lang=ru_RU

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Second problem:

Code:
error: file '/boot/archlinux-2016.08.13-flash-sfos.iso' not found.
error: disk 'loop' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
Solved by changing line in grub.cfg

Code:
loopback loop $isofile
by

Code:
loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
And naming the USB memory stick as "USB"

Last edited by ferlanero; 2016-11-04 at 01:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
I've just another question: after a succesfull instalation of the port in my Onda v820w v3 I received the 2.0.4.14 update. I tryed it, but after instalation, tablet didn't boot up. It stucks in a boot loop, anyone here coud make a successful update?

Thanks for your replies.

The Following User Says Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I've just another question: after a succesfull instalation of the port in my Onda v820w v3 I received the 2.0.4.14 update. I tryed it, but after instalation, tablet didn't boot up. It stucks in a boot loop, anyone here coud make a successful update?
OTA updates on ported devices are usually not a breeze. I have tried that on Hammerhead and usually the results are not satisfactory; Probably the problem is that middleware changes prevent OS higher layer to work when some API's change slightly.

I recommend building it up from scratch, that's what I am doing.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
OTA updates on ported devices are usually not a breeze. I have tried that on Hammerhead and usually the results are not satisfactory; Probably the problem is that middleware changes prevent OS higher layer to work when some API's change slightly.

I recommend building it up from scratch, that's what I am doing.
I don't think this approach applies to Onda, because it is not a ported device in the sense of Hammerhead. It's a device that is closest to the Jolla Tablet, which has multiple implications. The main implication being all the proprietary stuff, which you will never be able to get on Hammerhead, works there out of the box (and that makes it very unique). The other implication is that you can't really build it from scratch, because you don't have sources to the proprietary stuff and you would instantly kill the uniqueness of Onda V820w if you tried to build it without them.

It is however worrying that there are differences between Jolla Tablet and Onda V820w that prevent smooth upgrade process.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I don't think this approach applies to Onda, because it is not a ported device in the sense of Hammerhead. It's a device that is closest to the Jolla Tablet, which has multiple implications. The main implication being all the proprietary stuff, which you will never be able to get on Hammerhead, works there out of the box (and that makes it very unique). The other implication is that you can't really build it from scratch, because you don't have sources to the proprietary stuff and you would instantly kill the uniqueness of Onda V820w if you tried to build it without them.

It is however worrying that there are differences between Jolla Tablet and Onda V820w that prevent smooth upgrade process.
That disappoint me

The Following User Says Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria

Thanks for your replies.
hej, we talked about these 3 problems in the first few commnts after the upload of the modified os, we even talked about the singletouch only, do you expierience that too?

The Following User Says Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post: