Anyone have it running 100% stable on 800 unit? I've tried everything short of compiling it myself which it looks like I might have todo, unless theres a fix (i know some apps made for 770 needed some missing libs (like libxau0) to work but that doesnt help kismet any)

A freind of mine instructed me on how to set up Xterm and than sudo gainroot and than Kismet.

Kismet finds AP's and stores packets in the memory card.

How the packets got there and what to do with them after that I am clueless.

I would love to see one of those Youtube videos on how to install and use Kismet, Aircrack and whatnot....

The Following User Says Thank You to mdanehart For This Useful Post:
Does it run for more then 10 minuites without touching the screen, that is what im looking for

As for the dump file you use that for reference etc. better with BT_GPS to map it =)

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
kismet will record the statistics for the AP that it finds, and the GPS location of where you were when it found the AP (not the GPS location of the AP). Packets are not recorded. that is what dsniff does. what is written to the mmc card is the details about what kismet found. AP manufacturer, channel, BSSID, ESSID, associated hosts and what not.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Brendan, thanks on the MMC storage information. I woke my unit up and time elepased was 27 minutes and still going.Time to shut down Kimet.

I've only used kismet for seconds at the time, but the only problem I have with it is that it usually requires a reboot after use before I can use the network normally again. Didn't have any problems with the installation, just followed the instructions (on maemo somewhere). No dependency problems.

HaHas anyone found a workaround for the reboot issue? I imagine
something that could power down and then power up the wlan interface
- something like 'ifdown wlan0' followed by 'ifup wlan0' - might work.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Mine works fine, as long as I close kismet with "shift q" or Q , then I just reconnect to the network, no reboot needed?

Mine always kills wlan0 on exit w/ shift q.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
being that the wireless card is put into promiscous(sp?) mode while scanning with kismet, network connectivity is disrupted/sub-optimal. i usually send a CTRL+c to end kismet and reconnect to my network. never had to reboot to reconnect.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless