Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Does the N800 have support for Asian languages? I know my 770 doesn't, but I would consider buying the N800 if it supported Japanese. How come Nokia doesn't provide support for the Asian languages?

It does not at the moment -- the fonts are not even available, so browsing CJK sites is not a rewarding experience.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I have Chinese fonts installed on my 770 (latest firmware) and can browse Chinese web pages. I suppose the 800 will also display Japanese characters if an appropriate font is installed, e.g. Arial Unicode MS; but I can't confirm it since I don't have a N800 yet.

I don't know about japanese, but last time I checked, my N800 doesn't have Thai font

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ South Carolina USA
Pycage:

I am interested in installing Chinese fonts on my N800 so that I can browse PRC and Taiwanese sites. Did you install the Arial font on your 770 or was it part of the latest firmware that you mention?

If you did install the fonts yourself, how did you do it? I am a Maemo newb (could you tell?).

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Beijing
try ttf-firefly deb package I created
add repository below to your application manager
Web address: http://maemo.guoyong.org/
Distribution: mistral
Components: user
Applications: ttf-firefly themes-zh-14pt

How to install arabic fonts and what about right--to-left languages support?

The Following User Says Thank You to raminicola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
Just wanted to say thanks as I was able to get simplified Chinese input (and viewing) working perfectly on my N810. I appreciate the info given here.

I used the simplified Chinese package at this CJK Support site.

Also for viewing only (no input support) for Chinese web sites, the font package from this site works perfectly too.

Sorry if posting 2008 o/s info is taboo here; this was one of the better threads found using the site search tool and thought it may help others.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Just wanted to say thanks as I was able to get simplified Chinese input (and viewing) working perfectly on my N810. I appreciate the info given here.

I used the simplified Chinese package at this CJK Support site.

Also for viewing only (no input support) for Chinese web sites, the font package from this site works perfectly too.

Sorry if posting 2008 o/s info is taboo here; this was one of the better threads found using the site search tool and thought it may help others.
Using CJK Support on N810, I lost the desktop keyboard. It does render the website perfectly.

Using the font package, that does NOT mess up with your desktop keyboard, but rendering is very poor unless there website has an option for simplified Chinese.

Any tricks?

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I still cant find my virtual/desktop keyboard. I tried the text input thing and the shift+space bar, no luck. am I going to reflash this? Anyone, please?

bun