Notices

Originally Posted by the hamster View Post
I'm considering buying an n900, but some sort of document functionality is very important to me, I need to be able to edit documents as well as just viewing them. I've been all over Google and this forum for the last couple of hours, and I'm still getting conflicting information.

Does the version of Documents to Go pre-installed on the n900 (once paid for and upgraded) allow users to edit documents (i.e. .doc files)? I don't need Excel or anything, just Word. I've seen some people say you can, and others say you can't, so a simple yes or no from people who actually have the phone would be appreciated.

If not, what are the easy alternatives for word processing on the go?

I don't want to have to fuss around with installing other programs just to be able to create documents from my phone when I've been doing it on my e61 and x1 for years. I don't mind making a once-off payment for software so long as it actually works. Cloud computing is a good idea but I don't want to have to be online permanently both because my provider doesn't have a very high data allowance and because I don't want to kill the battery, so Google Docs etc are no use, I want an installable program like I have on my current phone.

Answers appreciated!
Abiword works very nicely for Word documents. I would like a Gnumeric port for Excel aswell!

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Originally Posted by the hamster View Post
Does the version of Documents to Go pre-installed on the n900 (once paid for and upgraded) allow users to edit documents (i.e. .doc files)? I don't need Excel or anything, just Word. I've seen some people say you can, and others say you can't, so a simple yes or no from people who actually have the phone would be appreciated.
Now it's only Viewer.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Bratac View Post
Abiword works very nicely for Word documents. I would like a Gnumeric port for Excel aswell!
Abiword takes a lot of rootfs at the moment

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Any rumors of an N900 native excel like App? I'm getting rather frustrated that I can't use my many spreadsheets. Yesterday I was asked for some information, and I had to wait until I got home and could plug my N900 to my PC to open the relevant spreadsheets - which were on the phone.

I haven't loaded Easy Debian, as my phone's having difficulties with incoming calls while streaming over Bluetooth and surfing the web while an email comes in. When an email and a phone call come in together (as they always seem to do) keep your fingers crossed.

From the Easy Debian Wiki:
"Big desktop applications like OpenOffice and Firefox run slowly on the tablet. They are designed for big, power-hungry CPUs."

When certain people call, I can't afford to wait until I re-boot to call them back.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
Any rumors of an N900 native excel like App? I'm getting rather frustrated that I can't use my many spreadsheets. Yesterday I was asked for some information, and I had to wait until I got home and could plug my N900 to my PC to open the relevant spreadsheets - which were on the phone.

I haven't loaded Easy Debian, as my phone's having difficulties with incoming calls while streaming over Bluetooth and surfing the web while an email comes in. When an email and a phone call come in together (as they always seem to do) keep your fingers crossed.

"Big desktop applications like OpenOffice and Firefox run slowly on the tablet. They are designed for big, power-hungry CPUs."

When certain people call, I can't afford to wait until I re-boot to call them back.
@RWFarley: do try easy debian. Your CPU is stressed just in the 50 seconds needed to fully open the Openoffice applicatione. Thereafter, few cpu cycles are consumed, as you'll be able to determine from top, htop or the cpu-mem widget.
Having a full-fledged office suite in your phone has no price (but then, if you like it, Qole has a paypal donate link on his qole.org site

koffice (freoffice), documentstogo, open office, abiword - all down the drain. Finally i have realized, best way to view office suite files is to convert to .pdf to n900.

koffice is quite rubbish at this point. it does open excel files although they claim only support for word and powerpoint are available. You put tables on word and boy it kills your file unreadable.

open office is probably the best solution available for patient people who dont mind slowing down their n900. I did like it.

abi word is big on rootfs and menu just comes out unusable. I hated it the most. it cant render all of my files correctly and downside, only handles word (.doc) files.

documentstogo - it said activation expired and buy the product. I didnt. I am sure, (have used it on palm) would be a nice software to have. I havent used it on n900 so cant comment on it.

Finally after quite a few hour I realized pdf is a cross platform format. It only makes sense to port it as .pdf. So as long as you have adobe acrobat on your laptop, best solution so far for viewing office suite files on n900 is keeping them in pdf. and i say best solution because it retains your original formatting.

Still need a better solution, maybe someone can give me an activation key to documentstogo LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post

You can install gnumeric on this link. Works quite fast and it is very good.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41920

How can I create spreadsheets, word documents etc in N900? I have the Document Viewer trail but that only lets you open files. I want to create simple spreradsheets or create word documents.

gnumeric, abiword.

Unfortunately our DtG version is feature impaired and sucks big time.

Open Office via Easy Debian is pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sash For This Useful Post:

Tags
abiword, application, documents, edit, edit excel, edit powerpoint, edit word, excel, fremantle, gnumeric, maemo, maemo 5, microsoft, office, office applications, open, open excel, open powerpoint, open word, openoffice, openoffice.org, powerpoint, spreadsheet, word