Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Oh God.. another vote from me for the stylus keyboard. I raaaarely use the thumb-keyboard and I rarely have my bluetooth keyboard with me. I absolutely REQUIRE the stylus keyboard. for my N800.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Oh God.. another vote from me for the stylus keyboard. I raaaarely use the thumb-keyboard and I rarely have my bluetooth keyboard with me. I absolutely REQUIRE the stylus keyboard. for my N800.
I absolutely REQUIRE the stylus keyboard. for my N800, also!

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I would hate to lose the stylus keyboard. The stylus keyboard gives such fast access to letters, digits and a pretty good range of symbols.

Even on the N810, I use the stylus keyboard more than the slide-out keyboard.

Regards,
Roger

Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
It seems to work at a decent speed for me, at least in 0.16testing6.
Haven't had a chance to play with 0.16 yet (installed it and gave up when I couldn't configure WPA), but more specifically on 0.15 it took a long time to switch modes (either shift or language switch).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
back in the n800 days, I used the stylus keyboard for some things (vi, notes, email authoring) ... but I used the thumb keyboard for others (mainly IMs). For some things, the stylus keyboard was better, and for others, the thumb keyboard was better.

My opinion would pretty much be: definitely make sure you have the capability for _both_. I can't imagine Mer being successful, on devices that have no physical keyboard, if it can't do both stylus and thumb keyboard input.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Oh dear, I made talk.* explode.

Can a moderator please move this sub-discussion into Alternatives and name it "I DEMAND STYLUS KEYBOARD IN MER" or something along those lines? This thread about opening things in Diablo is way too important for this discussion to happen within it.

First off, let's operate with the principle of less talking more doing. If you want stylus keyboard support, one of you should sit down, look into Hildon Input Method (Framework) differences between Diablo and Fremantle HIM(F). At that point, you suggest a fix, we add it to the distribution, done deal.

You have no vendor but this community itself. Find someone who can do it and do it. If not, we can't have stylus keyboard.

Story is that someone removed stylus keyboard support from HIMF in Fremantle (which was completely unneeded in my humble opinion).

Reasoning for thumb keyboard (and yes, I think a stylus keyboard is excellent in X-Chat or X-Term):

The UI doesn't lend itself to stylus keyboard and I don't think Fremantle apps expect to be squeezed.

We have been lagging behind in HIM versions (stuck at Diablo versions) for ages now, with the problems that come with that.

We have excellent open source thumb keyboards now and ability to make many different types (see https://bugs.maemo.org/attachment.cg...56&action=view )

Besides that, it's trivial to recompile the old HIM packages and use them..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Haven't had a chance to play with 0.16 yet (installed it and gave up when I couldn't configure WPA), but more specifically on 0.15 it took a long time to switch modes (either shift or language switch).
You're right, after pressing shift, it does take its sweet time to update the keys to uppercase.

I think the wireless configuration issues were fixed in 0.16testing6 (I can now connect to a hidden SSID, which I couldn't do in the previous ones.)

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Oh dear, I made talk.* explode.

Can a moderator please move this sub-discussion into Alternatives and name it "I DEMAND STYLUS KEYBOARD IN MER" or something along those lines? This thread about opening things in Diablo is way too important for this discussion to happen within it.

First off, let's operate with the principle of less talking more doing. If you want stylus keyboard support, one of you should sit down, look into Hildon Input Method (Framework) differences between Diablo and Fremantle HIM(F). At that point, you suggest a fix, we add it to the distribution, done deal.

You have no vendor but this community itself. Find someone who can do it and do it. If not, we can't have stylus keyboard.

Story is that someone removed stylus keyboard support from HIMF in Fremantle (which was completely unneeded in my humble opinion).

Reasoning for thumb keyboard (and yes, I think a stylus keyboard is excellent in X-Chat or X-Term):

The UI doesn't lend itself to stylus keyboard and I don't think Fremantle apps expect to be squeezed.

We have been lagging behind in HIM versions (stuck at Diablo versions) for ages now, with the problems that come with that.

We have excellent open source thumb keyboards now and ability to make many different types (see https://bugs.maemo.org/attachment.cg...56&action=view )

Besides that, it's trivial to recompile the old HIM packages and use them..
Good point!

If we would go back to the main topic, this all started because of a request to open up the source for the stylus keyboard, which would enable it to be ported to Fremantle.

Since you want to remove the stylus keyboard from Mer for it to be more like Fremantle, that is more of a reason to request to open up the stylus keyboard source, since if it will be in Fremantle, then it would be in Mer as well.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i know its a pipe dream, but the connectivity controller would be nice, so that some itchy bugs could be fixed...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
Good point!

If we would go back to the main topic, this all started because of a request to open up the source for the stylus keyboard, which would enable it to be ported to Fremantle.
Let me be clear. We are not asking that these components of Diablo are opened up so that they can be used in Fremantle. If Nokia wanted the stylus keyboard (or any other component) to be in Fremantle, it would be in Fremantle already and we are not trying to circumvent that decision. Opening up will allow us to troubleshoot and support Diablo, extending the useful life of N8x0 tablets and Diablo to the community.

See
http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
god initiative, good initiative, open source, stylus keyboard