Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The first Fremantle device will soon be shipping. But many of us still intend to get more life out of our N8x0 NITs. There may yet be an opportunity to get some components of Diablo opened up:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=284
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=292

Please identify one or two components of Diablo you would like opened up and, most importantly, constructive reasons why you want it opened up. What use cases would be enabled and what would you do if you had full access to the software?

(no hardware related issues please, such as WiFi and graphics drivers - those are already identified and well documented)

Last edited by SD69; 2009-10-05 at 14:36.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Please identify one or two components of Diablo you would like opened up and, most importantly, constructive reasons why you want it opened up. What use cases would be enabled and what would you do if you had full access to the software?
The stylus keyboard input method. Not because it needs fixing in Diablo (it's as close to perfect as it can be IMHO), but so that it can be ported to Fremantle (where the available input methods leave much to be desired, all covered in other threads) and possibly Mer. Use cases: much more usable command line work, editing code (or even just discussing commands and code in chat/email), any input use case that involves alternating between numbers and alphabetic characters a lot, multilingual input.

(Once the N900 launch dust settles down, it'd be nice of Nokia to clear the backlog in http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages - last answer over 10 months ago).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I want to see the RTComm Beta (telepathy-haze) integrated into the core RTComm system, and I would like the community to be able to take over the maintenance of that system.

Sure, telepathy and telepathy-haze are OSS, but I'm pretty sure there's lots of closed bits in there that I'd love to see opened up.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The stylus keyboard input method. Not because it needs fixing in Diablo (it's as close to perfect as it can be IMHO), but so that it can be ported to Fremantle (where the available input methods leave much to be desired, all covered in other threads) and possibly Mer. Use cases: much more usable command line work, editing code (or even just discussing commands and code in chat/email), any input use case that involves alternating between numbers and alphabetic characters a lot, multilingual input.

(Once the N900 launch dust settles down, it'd be nice of Nokia to clear the backlog in http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages - last answer over 10 months ago).
I don't know if this is in Mer, but it would be essential there, particularly for those of us with N800's/770's.

(In fact, isn't it opened already? How could Stskeeps et al be creating Mer without it?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I don't know if this is in Mer, but it would be essential there, particularly for those of us with N800's/770's.

(In fact, isn't it opened already? How could Stskeeps et al be creating Mer without it?)
No, we use him-arabic and hildon examples. Some features missing such as gestures etc.

We're switching to thumb keyboard only in Fremantle style for 0.17.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, we use him-arabic and hildon examples. Some features missing such as gestures etc.
Not to mention it's S-L-O-W

Et tu Brute? :-(

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
+1 for the stylus keyboard.

I got so used to it that I can almost peck at it as quickly as I can type on a normal keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
WHY?

That's horrible news for those of us who like the stylus keyboard! "Et tu, Brute?" is right.

I thought a major point of Mer was so that we could keep using our N800's, etc. Eliminating the stylus keyboard on the N800 would make it virtually useless to me. I'm positive that most N800 users rely on the stylus keyboard over the thumb keyboard. I haven't used Mer yet as it's too rough for my needs and abilities. But if it won't have a stylus keyboard, then I'm never going to use Mer.

What's going on? I'm really baffled and rather upset by this news. Why is the Mer team dropping something so essential to the old hardware?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:

Nooooooooo! Please don't do that. I love the stylus keyboard.

If it is for some reason necessary to switch to thumb keyboard, can't it just be set to be the default keyboard, while still giving the user the option to switch to the stylus keyboard?

Not to mention it's S-L-O-W
It seems to work at a decent speed for me, at least in 0.16testing6.

Tags
god initiative, good initiative, open source, stylus keyboard