Although 770 is slow, but not that slow, the truth is, 770 use jffs2 file system, which is a compressed FS. And that's tremendously slow the dang thing down. When I do the mod to have it boot from the RS-MMC, it speed everything up. The question are:
1. Is N800 still use compressed FS?
2. Can you hack the N800 to have it boot from the SD card? As this not only speed thing up on the system if compressed FS is used, but also free up the precious for application(unless it's not neccessry.) Nonetheless, moving the ROOT to SD mean, you can install more application, 128MB VS 1GB.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
According to maemo the system can be configured to boot automatically from the internal SD slot if an ext2/ext3 partition is present, and from device flash otherwise, making this a simple dual-boot strategy for developers. Whether you can unconditionally force the SD boot regardless of fs, I don't know yet.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
Code:
Nokia-N800-51:~# mount
/dev/root on /mnt/initfs type jffs2 (rw)
none on /mnt/initfs/proc type proc (rw)
none on /mnt/initfs/sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /mnt/initfs/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type vfat (rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,sync,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type vfat (rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,sync,noatime,nodiratime)
looks like / is on jffs2

Originally Posted by jpj View Post
According to maemo the system can be configured to boot automatically from the internal SD slot if an ext2/ext3 partition is present, and from device flash otherwise, making this a simple dual-boot strategy for developers. Whether you can unconditionally force the SD boot regardless of fs, I don't know yet.
Well, 2 things, according to maemo doc(howto) http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howto...boot_bora.html
The N800 isn't officially support yet.
Second, I don't seem to see the doc mention any thing about dual SD slot. If it's dual boot, which SD slot do they refer to?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
Well, 2 things, according to maemo doc(howto) http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howto...boot_bora.html
The N800 isn't officially support yet.
Second, I don't seem to see the doc mention any thing about dual SD slot. If it's dual boot, which SD slot do they refer to?
I haven't looked at the init script that does it lately but I believe it's the internal one. It doesn't really matter-- the script can be changed to boot from anything as long as there's a device for it, and yes, you can boot to anything by default too with the appropriate modifications.

Larry