Salut,

Can someone who already has the device in hand tell us how the video calling feature works? Google Talk does not support video without the Festoon plugin, which is Windows only.

The user guide mentions that what happens is you send a video call invitation using email or chat, but Googling for this since yesterday reveals nothing else - what protocol is use, what clients are available etc.

Thanks,

--
hircus

everyone always assumes its a google talk thing. Google talk is nothing but Jabber rebranded with some little extras. I used my non gtalk jabber account to make a video call from one n800 user to another without any gtalk servers or anything involved just standard XMPP jabber. Works great.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nokia is providing their own video call service it appears. It's mentioned on tableteer. But the first poster is right: I couldn't get video to work with Festoon.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Nokia is providing their own video call service it appears. It's mentioned on tableteer. But the first poster is right: I couldn't get video to work with Festoon.
I hope this will not turn out to be Skype. (OK, I know there will be Skype - what I mean is: If they're talking of a yet to be provided video chat service, I hope they're talking about yet another alternative based on free standards.)

Why? The 770 was sexy because it was offering the hope for a free tablet. Some of the software was free. They used Jabber/GTalk. They promised (never really implemented) SIP. It seemed they'd go for open standards. This was their Unique Selling Proposition. (And could still be - Apple's iPhone is much more exciting in hardware, but it lacks all of the above.)

Moving away from this track would mean giving up the only USP Nokia has. There are plenty of Skype-enabled devices out there. (There's plenty of proprietary binary images you cannot recompile for a different platform.) That would be a tough competition...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It looks like the service is already available. I just haven't retested it yet. When I tried during prelaunch the authentication website wasn't ready.

Originally Posted by skynetos View Post
everyone always assumes its a google talk thing. Google talk is nothing but Jabber rebranded with some little extras. I used my non gtalk jabber account to make a video call from one n800 user to another without any gtalk servers or anything involved just standard XMPP jabber. Works great.
Thanks. I do expect video calls between two N800s to work just fine, what concerns me is the nature of the protocol used. If we look at Apple's iChat, it uses the AIM and Jabber protocols but implements its own protocol for streaming video, so you need to use Macs on both ends to use it.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I get my N800 (provided the FedEx guys deliver on time, touch wood)