Active Topics

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Motorola Droid 4 has LTE working only in North America only so adding support for more LTE bands in the face of plans of 2G network shutdowns and cutting down 3G bandwidth would be in my opinion a significant benefit.

As for Moto Z - it seems to be more a phablet than the average smartphone so having a bit smaller device (~5" ?) might encourage also those who do not prefer big devices.

The next alternative (not mentioned here) - Motorola Photon Q has built-in on motherboard SIM card so to use it out of USA Sprint needs soldering in the SIM slot which is not acceptable for many of the potential customers. LTE doesn't work outside of the North America too.

Beside that, newer Android versions are getting heavier and heavier so improvement in CPU/GPU/RAM would always be welcome for the potential consumers (even though the custom ROMs for the existing devices are still being released).

There seems to be some niche. Not sure how big, though.

Last edited by mp107; 2017-07-24 at 13:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Chen, how far have you come with plans related to the hwside of things. I dont want to rain on your parade here but thin phone, duel CAMs, duel sim, to found an existing design or everything from scratch? I support you, I do. But have you done any estimation of cost? To me this Sounds like a really expensive undertaking.
Thank you Dave! I appreciate that! Yes they are indeed very expensive, to get an industrial standard product with the top spec and quality and unique features it needs a huge amount of invest. To give you an idea a mediocre MTK mid-end bar phone without OS work will cost probably half a million USD investment. We are using Qualcomm, with the best parts I can get, and with a slider. This is why I am trying to save money everywhere.

I have kicked off mechanical engineering work. Also will publish complete detailed specs soon. (No TM here, I'm just check for a few availabilities of components, and evaluating how much better we can achieve...)

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
IMO, AOSP should be the OS of choice to ship the device with but are there really enough people wanting a HW keyboard for such a project to be feasible? Also what use does a HW keyboard have on Android?

Virtual keyboards coupled with slim devices mean HW keyboard devices have very little in upside vs the downside of no predictive text, thicker and heavier device etc.
I hold my opinion here:

Even with Android, HW keyboard does have a lot use, for example, under Android 7's split screen, with on screen keyboard it's almost useless because your on-screen keyboard would block almost both contents, but with HW keyboard user can type in one app while look at another, like typing while reading web, this is a huge difference.

And HW keyboard is more accurate and without the fluff of autocorrection, and free up screen content. To me it make a phone phone.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
I know it's just a dream but having something like Blackberry's touch enabled keyboard would be amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c30sSM1Ulc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Thank you Dave! I appreciate that! Yes they are indeed very expensive, to get an industrial standard product with the top spec and quality and unique features it needs a huge amount of invest. To give you an idea a mediocre MTK mid-end bar phone without OS work will cost probably half a million USD investment. We are using Qualcomm, with the best parts I can get, and with a slider. This is why I am trying to save money everywhere.

I have kicked off mechanical engineering work. Also will publish complete detailed specs soon. (No TM here, I'm just check for a few availabilities of components, and evaluating how much better we can achieve...)
Don't forget notification led and FM-transmitter! What is your timetable? I mean projects are usually delayed.. for example http://www.puzzlephone.com/blog-read...ng-episode-ii/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I hold my opinion here:

Even with Android, HW keyboard does have a lot use, for example, under Android 7's split screen, with on screen keyboard it's almost useless because your on-screen keyboard would block almost both contents, but with HW keyboard user can type in one app while look at another, like typing while reading web, this is a huge difference.

And HW keyboard is more accurate and without the fluff of autocorrection, and free up screen content. To me it make a phone phone.
Another thing is that if the keyboard is touch sensitive (not sure that it is) you could use that to scroll up and down on an app without blocking the view.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
if the keyboard is touch sensitive
Yuck. Give me proper buttons any day

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Yuck. Give me proper buttons any day
What I meant by that is what the BB keyboard is like, they are physical buttons, but you can stroke them to scroll up and down on the display.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
What I meant by that is what the BB keyboard is like, they are physical buttons, but you can stroke them to scroll up and down on the display.
Like the blackberry nipple thing? I had a BB curve and the damn thing wouldn't stop scrolling up and to the right. And that was quite a high end product that must have undergone lots of testing. I wouldn't near anything like it again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Like the blackberry nipple thing? I had a BB curve and the damn thing wouldn't stop scrolling up and to the right. And that was quite a high end product that must have undergone lots of testing. I wouldn't near anything like it again.
No. The keys register swipes up and down. It's actually done quite well and rather unobtrusive to regular typing. No extra hardware required.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen