Poll: Which text input method do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which text input method do you prefer?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm using Midnight Commander on my N800 and its hell... The transparent keyboard helps, but it is a global setting and i hate myself (and qwerty12) after every usage

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
I use both in different situations, mostly due to the fact that my unit has a French (azerty layout) keypad, but I set my soft keyboard to qwerty.

For short entries, and numeric input, I use the touchscreen, as it's faster and the numbers are directly accessible in "numpad" mode (whereas on the keypad they are in line on the top row and need to be "shifted" with Fn).

For larger entries, especially in French where I need accented characters (which are readily accessible on the keypad, less so on the touchscreen) I use the keypad.

And as you said, the keyboard rules in xterm, and it gives a lot more viewable area.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Just to clarify, I currently have a 5800 in use and IMO onscreen keyboard isn't that practical, even with tactile feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
my favorite input method on my N810 is stylus / liqbase for taking notes, but I really prefer the keypad to touchscreen options when I have to do it non-handwritten (I don't use handwriting recognition either).
the best solution is the bluetooth folding keyboard, but it's too big/heavy for me to carry everyday.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Indeed.

I find after a week of use, like fpp, I find pros and cons to each method of input.

When I'm doing a quick internet search, or entering some quick text (looking up a word using stardict), then the on-screen keyboard is very quick, much quicker than the keypad, since I keep it closed the majority of the time. I'm sure the slider mechanism will also last longer.

For entering mass quantities of text or when screen real-estate is a premium, the keypad rules, IMO.

But both methods have serious flaws:

Here are problems I see with the current on-screen finger keypad:
1) Lack of a tab key. This is odd considering that it is present when using the CHR key with the keypad open.
2) No cursor keys. The entire keypad is touch-friendly except for the touch window! It's very difficult to position the cursor in the tiny spaces between text. Cursor keys would prove very useful for this.
3) Text entry window is justified left. This makes it very difficult to select the first character, or position the cursor at this character, due to the bezel.
4) Must switch between no-caps and ALL-CAPS for capital entry. It would be nice to have a 'Shift' key that shifted the next key press. The same goes for CHR.
5) Takes over the ENTIRE screen. This is unnecessary as the iphone shows.
6) Inconsistent with the keypad! This requires the extra step of learning yet another input interface (not a big task, but all of these extra tasks add up).

Here are problems I see with the hardware keypad:
1) Lack of a tab key. Seriously, Fn/Shift space would work (is this currently possible in software)?
2) Repeating key-entry with seemingly single press (a known 'bug')
3) Flat hard-to-differentiate keys. This looks attractive, but often results in
4) Lack of a key-finding bump (like j and f on modern keyboards). With this, I'm sure I would be able to enter text blindly without looking at the keypad. As it stands now, I must look at the keypad when I type the majority of the time.
5) Hard to press keys (this makes my forearm tired after continuous use).
6) Fn key on only one half of the keypad makes it awkward to enter one-off symbols on the left side.
7) Large keys! This would seem like a feature, but it often requires that the thumb move long distances to hit keys. I *think* I would prefer smaller pill-like keys closer together (like blackberry/palm-pre). This would also free up room for a small number pad, or N-Gage style buttons, or a larger d-pad.
8) Menu key is on it. It implies that if you want to use the menu in full-screen (which often happens to me) you have to go out of full-screen mode. If the menu key were on the face, this would be better. In fact, menu and window key could be combined with a canola-settings-style interface.
9) D-pad is on it. I'm officially on the side of the team that wants the d-pad on the face of the device. For quick casual use, I don't think one should have to slide open the device. I think quick operation should be possible ala iPhone.

In the end, I find both methods lacking in a few fundamental ways. I sincerely hope that Nokia hires a hardware architect that strongly considers both usability and simplicity across many use cases, rather than a limited facsimile of modern computers shrunk to a mobile device.

I'm of the belief that all of these things add up to influence the comfort of using the device. It would seem that apple/palm has mostly eliminated most of the would-be annoyances making using the iPhone/pre a joyful, slick, and easy. I think that Nokia has to do the same to appeal to the general market.

YARR!
}:^)~

Sir capt'n

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Finger keyboard all the way.

using the finger keyboard on my n800, i use my left thumb and right index finger. using both thumbs is slow and awkward. i don't own an n810, but i think the on-screen keyboard wold be faster than the hardware keyboard.

I am now trying out pyRDesktop and InScribe keyboard.
So far it does not work for me very well.
I expected much better experience.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
I can't pick just one. I prefer using the stylus/virtual keyboard on my 770 for most general stuff, but I vastly prefer using my little bluetooth keyboard when doing stuff in an Xterm or via VNC.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'm using Midnight Commander on my N800 and its hell... The transparent keyboard helps, but it is a global setting and i hate myself (and qwerty12) after every usage
I use Midnight Commander in OSSO Xterm on my 770, but I usually use the stylus to pull down menus, navigate, etc.

It's a lot easier with a bluetooth keyboard, tho.