Notices

Originally Posted by tso View Post
if there are dbus messages, then maybe dbus-switchboard can be poked into handling it?
They're both just wrapped-up stand-alone programs shared libraries; nothing no one but qwerty12 should be the wiser.

EDIT: see above

Much thanks to qwerty12: Binary Officer, badge #012

Last edited by daperl; 2009-03-07 at 18:21. Reason: "...getting by with a little help from my friends"

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If I were a hacker and I wanted to play around, the first thing I would do is make a cp -a of /usr/bin/browser.launch to browser.launch.orig. Then I would make sure that my new browser could take an url as a command-line argument. I would then copy my new browser to /usr/bin/browser.launch and see if that worked. If that fails, maybe I would then do a

strings browser.launch.orig | sort | less

to see what that reveals. It seems to reveal a few things. I would guess there might be one or two dbus messages to catch.

Something similar could probably be done with bookmark.launch.
While your idea sounds good and correct, you'll want to replace browser instead. browser.launch is a shared "library" that maemo-invoker runs (/usr/bin/browser is a symlink to /usr/bin/maemo-invoker) because it's built to use maemo-launcher which preloads gtk stuff and is said to make a gtk program launch faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Hmmm. I thought I copied and pasted.... but at this point I don't really remember. I'll re-try typing it directly
Update: looks like the decongestants hit me harder than I thought...

file:///media/.../bookmarks.html worked!

Thanks

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
While your idea sounds good and correct, you'll want to replace browser instead. browser.launch is a shared "library" that maemo-invoker runs (/usr/bin/browser is a symlink to /usr/bin/maemo-invoker) because it's built to use maemo-launcher which preloads gtk stuff and is said to make a gtk program launch faster.
Oh, yeah, that! I've only done a statusbar thingy, but I think the resultant .so files are just a switch when building. I think... If so, then I also think you just have to put it in the proper /usr/lib/hildon-... directory. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.

But because of the above, I still would want to change "browser.launch" and leave "browser" alone 'cause I want to get all that launcher stuff for free. Right?

Maybe I should do more checking and less thinking...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
But because of the above, I still would want to change "browser.launch" and leave "browser" alone 'cause I want to get all that launcher stuff for free. Right?
The application has to be built for maemo-launcher (not terribly experienced on this - I only have ever modified one program to be compatible with maemo-launcher) specifically; so replacing browser.launch isn't likely to work because maemo-invoker expects a shared library and you aren't gonna get a GTK speed increase on a script

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
The application has to be built for maemo-launcher (not terribly experienced on this - I only have ever modified one program to be compatible with maemo-launcher) specifically; so replacing browser.launch isn't likely to work because maemo-invoker expects a shared library and you aren't gonna get a GTK speed increase on a script
That's what I meant. Build a shared library. Like the ones that "Hello World" spits out. But a general wrapper for script invocation is a great idea. Or maybe just a Python invoker wrapper. Isn't that kind of what "osso_games_startup.launch" is? Or am I missing your/the point entirely?

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
just had two things show up...

1. to paste something into a text area, i had to use the long tap menu. the paste option of the osk didnt work (seems to work in the full screen one tho. bu that keyboard has its own issues).

2. sometimes the dashboard comes up empty when opening a new window using the + button.

Last edited by tso; 2009-03-07 at 23:41.

hey, you probably know this, but some link buttons on facebook don't work in tear, such as the 'post' button for posting a message to someone's wall. also, the double tap, drag to select text only selects one word, and it won't copy after being selected.
great browser. my tablet feels new again.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by debudebu View Post
hey, you probably know this, but some link buttons on facebook don't work in tear, such as the 'post' button for posting a message to someone's wall. also, the double tap, drag to select text only selects one word, and it won't copy after being selected.
great browser. my tablet feels new again.
Selection in Tear is done by holding down the menu key and just dragging. Actually while the menu button is down, the kinetik scrolling is off so you might fix something else this way

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
when i try to edit maemo wiki, tear asks me if i want to download something like php=??=bla09, when i press the save button

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:

Tags
brower, browser, browserd fix, khtml, microb alternative, microb killer, tear, webkit, www