Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
I would like to start saying that in the World of Maemo there are two kinds of bees: the drones ( I am in this group) and the rest, the worker bees. We, the drones, almost depend of the workers in the open source software world. So please donīt take my opinions as offensive or pretentious because I am doing nothing to improve what Iīm going to tell, mainly because my job has nothing to do with programming, IT or whatever you want to call it (if you need a CPA overseas,maybe I could be a helping hand ). Iīm willing to learn but at my 40īs and with a very demanding work is a little bit hard, except some basic tasks.
Here is my list of most wanted apps needed to do the N8XX a real gem (big pardon if I wish something impossible or really dumb)
-Some kind of MSOffice visor (Itīs vital for me to be able to at least to see some email attachments, most in excel, word and pps) (pse donīt tell me about google docs). I understand that the N8XX series is not intented as a pc, and I am not using it as a laptop, but If I can read mails I would like to read it complete.
-A way to enjoy the rest of the multimedia world (most based on WMedia) that today is impossible to see/hear in a easy way (tv channels, radios, etc) (pse donīt tell me about ORB or TVersity)
-A calendar utility that can be used offline (again, pse don’t tell me about google calendar)

A suggestion for the Maemo site: for the non tech people like me, would be nice to add in each app download if you need to have installed any library or similar before, and the link to download that.

Finally: I will gladly make a donation or pay for the apps, as I read before in some post, as a contribution for your efforts, and my thanks for you, the worker bees.
I would like to hear your opinions/comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
akd, just because you aren't a programmer doesn't mean that you aren't useful to the community. Showing the worker bees what you'd like to see, giving opinions and making suggestions all help very much, even if it doesn't seem that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
1. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is working on a port of OpenOffice (MSOffice for Linux, basically).
2. Yeah, I want WMedia Browser support too. I could be wrong, but I think its gonna be in OS08?
3. I haven't a clue. I don't need a calender, but this is just me.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Syntra View Post
1. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is working on a port of OpenOffice (MSOffice for Linux, basically).
2. Yeah, I want WMedia Browser support too. I could be wrong, but I think its gonna be in OS08?
3. I haven't a clue. I don't need a calender, but this is just me.
OpenOffice won't ever happen. It depends on Java and is EXTREMELY resource heavy. Your best bet at this point is maybe Koffice.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Zerojay...thanks for don't make me feel so useless..my ego is now 5% up.

I forgot that I can suck the juice of the Garnet VM for the calender, but any specific will be better.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by akd View Post
I forgot that I can suck the juice of the Garnet VM for the calender, but any specific will be better.
http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ogo/index.html

Contact dataviz and ask about plans to port to maemo.

For the maemo community here, would it be possible to set the mail app to open .doc in abiword and .xls in gnumeric?

Done..poor dataviz guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by akd View Post

-Some kind of MSOffice visor (Itīs vital for me to be able to at least to see some email attachments, most in excel, word and pps) (pse donīt tell me about google docs). I understand that the N8XX series is not intented as a pc, and I am not using it as a laptop, but If I can read mails I would like to read it complete.
-A way to enjoy the rest of the multimedia world (most based on WMedia) that today is impossible to see/hear in a easy way (tv channels, radios, etc) (pse donīt tell me about ORB or TVersity)
-A calendar utility that can be used offline (again, pse don’t tell me about google calendar)
Re (a), on my N800, Gnumeric does ok with most excel spreadsheets. So does Abiword (an ancient version 2.2.7 installed with supplementary converters). For powerpoint files, I do not know... other than using one of the online conversion services to turn them into .pdf files.

Re (c), GPE calendar does ok for some folks, and with Erminig you are supposed to be able to sync with your Google Calendar.

-- Denis

1) I'm sure a lot more work will go into porting office type apps once the N810 goes mainstream. Till then - panguinbait's ported KOffice and it works very well

2) Not gonna happen anytime soon imho. asf/wmv support I think was mentioned by Nokia in OS2008 *shrugs* dunno.

3) I've had a word with Rainy (creator of Rainlendar) in the hopes that Rainlendar could become a desktop plugin for maemo A few months back he seemed interested...maybe I could follow up and find out what happened.

If not I'll look into creating my own at some point. It won't be a full featured pim - it'll just be a way to record notes / events / recurrent events and to-do lists - I'll hope to sync with google calendar. Drones are useful in that they could provide some insight into the things Worker bees haven't thought of any input is good.