Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD

Extra thanks to Khertan for the home tools.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Sorry for interupting, but i had to display this;
I am going to experiment with this by making a init script and possibly a keymap so at start-up, i won't need to manualy activate compositing and have transparent windows if i press a key combination.
Attached Images

My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So, Faheem, I just have to ask; would it be possible to set your desktop background to black then use a simple linux wallpaper display app (like the ones used by many lightweight windows managers), running in the background, using your "camera as background" technique, to (reasonably) display a changing wallpaper? Or is the performance hit too high?
That's not a bad idea actually, I'd like to try that sometime . When I was having the camera as the background (running liqbase & then doing a "sleep 10 ; transset-df -a" and switching back and going into camera mode), I actually was able to use the tablet pretty decently. I managed to load up this thread

If you only need transparency, running "xcompmgr" from the terminal (as opposed to running it from the menu) works a lot faster as it doesn't do as much of the fading effects etc but it can still provide transparency. Of course, having CPU set on performance helps .

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I have put transparecy icon in menu, now i just click it when running any app, and it will go transparet, ene the statusbar can be transparent

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I have put transparecy icon in menu, now i just click it when running any app, and it will go transparet, ene the statusbar can be transparent
Hehe, yeah, I did the same with personal menu (can't be bothered to make a desktop file :P) and made it run transset-df -a

Didn't know that the statusbar could go transparent though

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So, can you make your Hildon desktop transparent so that you can see a standard X wallpaper that is behind Hildon Desktop?

Answer: Kinda-Sorta. The problem is that all the Hildon home applets are the same window as the Hildon background, so everything becomes transparent.

Here is my OS2008 desktop, with a plain black background, then set transparent. The "Debian Tree" image is from a previous run of LXDE. LXDE paints its background directly onto the X server (like most "normal" desktop environments), and the xomap-xserver just leaves the last image as the background...

Anyway, this is a proof of concept that yes, if you were to use a wallpaper-changing utility, you could have changing wallpapers on your OS2008 desktop... The cost is that everything on your desktop looks ghostly and transparent.

The best solution would be to hack the hildon desktop to have a completely transparent background (while keeping the applets properly opaque). This transset technique is a bit of a kludge.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
So, how does one grab a screenshot? I can't seen to figure this out.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
So, how does one grab a screenshot? I can't seen to figure this out.
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/load-applet/
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Genius! I shall check it out!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My favorite screenshot app is the Maemo Hackers screenshot tool. It can take screenshots of everything (except the overlay apps like liqbase and mplayer), and then easily upload to Flickr:

http://inz.fi/blog/2007/10/25/mh-shot-tool-update/

It is in the maemo-hackers repository, and they're lagging behind...

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-02 at 21:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
bora, chinook, desktop, diablo, insane emulation, maemo, maemo 2, maemo 3, maemo 4, picture, pictures, screens getting shot, screenshots