Active Topics

I have a nokia n800 with os 08. Is the pull out keyboard a lot better. Is the screen a lot more sensitive, like you don't have to touch as hard? Does the light sener help. Everything just everything. Please tell me. please!

The only real advantage is the keyboard, I find it much nicer but some people are quite happy using the on-screen one.

GPS isn't really very good, light sensor doesn't seem to do much, trans-reflective screen is probably a bit better (but then it's not sunny in the UK that often so it's made little difference to me).

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I find the trans-reflective screen of the N810 a vast improvement over the N800 for daylight readability. The keyboard isn't that great, but it is an integrated keyboard, which I've come to appreciate having available over the on-screen one. The N810 is more compact as well, making it much more pocketable.

All IMHO of course
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Can you view the N810 display in direct sunlight.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I haven't had any issues with the screen myself since I am always taking it in and out of my pocket, indoor and outdoor.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
grog - can you view your N810 display in direct sunlight?

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Yes, I had the original N810 and now have the N810 WiMAX. The screen is daylight readable, but I would still recommend a light theme and not a dark one.

The themes included with the N810 work very well in direct sunlight. I use WayFinder for driving in my XTerra and for geocaching on foot. Darker themes such as the LCARS theme don't reflect sunlight very well and make for difficult viewing on the N810 (IMO).
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
My opinion ( I have an N810):
- keyboard is not very good (you have to press Fn for numbers) and the special characters are on different locations, so most times I use the onscreen keyboard with modified layout (4 rows incl separate digits row and predefined www. and .com).
- nice bright screen well readable in daylight
- there is only one memory card slot instead of 2 on the N800, the other is 'occupied' with 2GB internal MMC.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Can you view the N810 display in direct sunlight.
I've used my N810 in direct sunlight a few times. Here are some of my observations

Some colour detail is lost in bright sunlight. But that might just be the sun intensity overpowering the LCD. All detail is still on the screen, it just appears more greyscale

Only time the screen isn't readable in the sun is when the reflection from the sun off the screen hits you directly in the eye.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I concur with the previously posted observations. Direct sunlight viewing is good as long as you stick with a lighter theme. I just installed & switched to the modern LCARS theme. Pretty cool, but I haven't walked outside with it yet .
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post: