Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
For those of us who are willing to wipe new hardware, couldn't there be a single flashing image that could set everything up? (I'm sure I'm missing something, but when I flash OS2008 it modifies the file system too.) I know there's a lot of talk about back and forth, but seeing that the N810 is going for like $210 new, should there be a way to just "slap" NITdroid onto a device without having to worry about "dual-booting?"
Honestly, if you can read, you can pretty much do this. I'm nowhere near what I'd call a geek, and this was the first time I spent any amount of time in a terminal window, but it was pretty easy to get setup.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Honestly, if you can read, you can pretty much do this. I'm nowhere near what I'd call a geek, and this was the first time I spent any amount of time in a terminal window, but it was pretty easy to get setup.
True, but the process still REQUIRES Ubuntu, which I don't have set up. So I'd have to partition/install/etc. a whole Linux installation onto my Mac just to try this hack -- that's a lot more than just typing in a terminal window

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Dude, I am 90% sure you can do this on a Mac.

There is a flasher for Mac, there is tar for Mac, and that is all you need.

Anyone willing to do a Mac guide?

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Dude, I am 90% sure you can do this on a Mac.

There is a flasher for Mac, there is tar for Mac, and that is all you need.

Anyone willing to do a Mac guide?
...and you need to download adb to punch in the keyboard layout. OH WAIT it's a binary and it's only been compiled for Ubuntu. :| Yeah, I tried to execute it.

Plus, you skipped the whole partitioning step, the command used in the guide is not installed in the OS X terminal.

Really, I tried to follow the steps on my Mac already. It's missing some.

(Minor note: only flasher 2.0 is available on the Mac, but since the instructions specifically say to use 3.0 and not 2.0-or-higher I can't tell if that's a roadblock as well.)

Last edited by namtastic; 2009-01-24 at 14:27.

OK, so I later realized that since I own VMWare Fusion for some office XP apps, I could create an Ubuntu virtual machine. So ultimately I caved in, installed, config'd, etc. Ubuntu under Fusion and used it to flash NITdroid. I never did get adb to work right -- kept saying it couldn't find the device, but the 0.4.0 filesystem seemed to already have the mappings in it as the hardware keyboard worked fine without manually pushing the layout. Pretty impressive work, if only the power button and keylock (screenlock) was functional, I might have stayed booted in it longer.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
...and you need to download adb to punch in the keyboard layout. OH WAIT it's a binary and it's only been compiled for Ubuntu. :| Yeah, I tried to execute it.

Plus, you skipped the whole partitioning step, the command used in the guide is not installed in the OS X terminal.

Really, I tried to follow the steps on my Mac already. It's missing some.

(Minor note: only flasher 2.0 is available on the Mac, but since the instructions specifically say to use 3.0 and not 2.0-or-higher I can't tell if that's a roadblock as well.)
Ahh, you are looking at the problem the wrong way.

Why are you trying to tackle the problem via the guide. It obviously wont work for Mac!

Ok, this is what you need...

First, you partition the SD card via Tablet or LiveCD (Or the Mac, but I don't know how)

adb for Mac (Its in the SDK for Mac)
flasher 2.0 for Mac (You have this)

Boom bada Boom...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

I never did get adb to work right -- kept saying it couldn't find the device
First, I'm glad that you eventually installed a VM and took care of this. Thank you for your perseverance. Second, none of this requires Ubuntu specifically. I've been doing this with CentOS all along -- no Ubuntu. Finally, your adb issues may be linked to the tablet not being configured to support it.

On the tablet, look under Settings, Applications, Development Options, and turn on Automatically Enable Debug when USB is connected. Once that check mark is green, try your adb again. If it still doesn't work, you may have a process out that that needs to be killed and restarted. From a command prompt

ps axw | grep adb

and if you see a line with "adb fork-server server", locate the number in the very first field on that line (called the Process ID or "pid"), and then type

kill <pid>

replacing <pid> with the actual number from the first column. Then try adb again (from the directory where you stored it) such as

adb get-state

and see if adb starts the server and shows "device" instead of "unknown". I've been a Linux geek for 15 years, and this one bit me for a few days last week!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EasternPA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
True, but the process still REQUIRES Ubuntu, which I don't have set up.
False. I just did it complete on-tablet, and I'm am still a linux n00b.

0. Boot to flash, not sd.
1. Download gparted from http://penguinbait.com/
2. Download NITdroid kernel for N8x0 and NITdroid filesystem to your n8x0's flash memory (but not in any folder). Get these files from http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/
3. Use gparted to partition your mmc, as described here. First FAT, then anything (i used fat again), and then ext3 (at least 128mb).

Now, here are the modifications you'll make to the "hardcore" install guide:

-Mount the new filesystem. Open xterm, gain root, and enter with

Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt
if you're using an internal mmc. Use mmcblk1p3 if you're using external mmc.

-Extract the NITdroid files to your new filesystem with

Code:
cd /mnt;tar -xjpvf /home/user/MyDocs/rootfs-nitdroid-0.4.2.tar.bz2
-Unmount the filesystem with

Code:
cd;umount /mnt
-Flash the NITdroid kernel with

Code:
fiasco-flasher -k zImage-nitdroid-2.6.28_n8x0-5 -f

That said, I found this release of NITdroid to be rather unstable. First, the onscreen keyboard kept crashing, and then the entire OS crashed--several times. Perhaps this has something to do with my method of installation. Who knows. Anyway, I've reflashed and am back to Maemo. But if you want to try NIT droid, you DO NOT need ubuntu. You just need an NIT.

If someone smarter than me sees a place where I've messed up, please don't hesitate to point out the needed correction.

Last edited by lm2; 2009-02-09 at 05:36.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
How long should the nitdroid logo continue to flash?--I've been watching it for 15 minutes on my N800-flash, then black, repeat...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Not that much

Tags
android, nitdroid