Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
TL;DR - The list is on the bottom. We're talking only about apps for N900 (Maemo Fremantle). This thread is neither about Sailfish nor Harmattan

It's loosely connected to what we were discussing in the Maemo Reloaded thread.

We don't need just ten more WhatsApp apps. But there are certainly apps which we miss. This list should be an aid for potential developers. Please add apps you miss on Fremantle. If you would be willing to donate something once the app is ready, you can say it too, it'll be added to list too.

You can ask for an improvement in an existing app, since there's no use in reinventing the wheel. But not only this. You can report applications that were of good quality but that no longer work (due to API changes, etc), because of being abandoned by their developers; applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support or
promising applications that were left unfinished. // Thanks for klinlerware for suggestion!

Don't ask for an official TheFreeDictionary/Quizlet/chess.com/whatever app. It's better to focus on general-usage apps and ask the service developers to create a sensible mobile page.

Last but not least, if you're a developer, you can report which library you're missing for creating some app. Or you can say that you want to contribute something from the list. Or even ask whether there would be donors for the app you're about to create.

Please don't ask for MeeCoLay libraries nor Apkenv modules

Update 23 Mar 2014: Please add non-optified packages here too.

The List

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wBl6lIaQC2

Simply add your points here. Use it for the application list only, discuss here.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-03-23 at 19:13.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???
I didn't notice any sensible browser replacement apart from mine and Android_808's approach. The best way out would be to let the user choose - WebKit or Mozilla (Gecko). But QtWebKit won't be developed anymore, and new Qt WebEngine is not there yet. [1]

[1] http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/0...-qt-webengine/

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-03-03 at 18:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
noob here
are alsa and pulseaudio updated?
need updated kernel and its supports
whatever the qt or watever that launched application, it takes time to load and eats much CPU so i dont know what reason would be.
apps like power saver, well these r just scripts but are well mentained and clean we need as deb package.
and important thing why its taking much time to develope anything for fremantle, well its everyone is doing on their own, why not make a group and work on single and then after another? so whatever'll happen it'll happen perfectly, and i trust you developers. may god bless you.

1. Office software. The ability to view, edit and save word processor and spreadsheet files is incredibly patchy.

2, Finance manager. I have never seen anything as good as the Psion 5 program abp on any other mobile device. Would a GNUCash or KMyMoney port be too painful?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-03-04 at 11:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support
3. Promising Fremantle applications that were left unfinished

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
ProfileMatic equivalent...

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.
Yes, it's a great idea! FreOffice is such an application (3), so I added it to the point "office tools"

And it could be a place for developers to ask who'd donate.

@seanmcken: Are you a developer willing to utilize kernel update? Otherwise, don't report it, as it's not what we're talking about.
You mean the power saving mode as on Harmattan?

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-03-04 at 17:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
What I would like to see running on Fremantle is Fillmore, a multi-track audio recorder that was really promising.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post

I think the intersection of 1 & 3 is the Twitter app space. Is there a finished product for the current twitter APIs?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post: