Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
There's no doubt Apple made a very slick feature phone and marketed it very well, if you want to call that 'innovation' knock yourself out, no one can touch you for it.
This is not inovation, it's just a better product. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they claim they invented the smartphone, they invented the tablet and so on, which is not true. But they make nice devices so we can jump over that.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Provide some concrete evidence please. Symbian sales were growing right up until Elop's 'burning platforms' memo. Where is the evidence NOKIA were facing this level of meltdown without Elop's intervention?
Burning platform memo:
Originally Posted by Elop
Consumer preference for Nokia declined worldwide. In the UK, our brand preference has slipped to 20 percent, which is 8 percent lower than last year. That means only 1 out of 5 people in the UK prefer Nokia to other brands. It’s also down in the other markets, which are traditionally our strongholds: Russia, Germany, Indonesia, UAE, and on and on and on.
Besides, over the course of 2009–2010 (before Elop, right?), Motorola, Samsung, LG, and Sony Ericsson announced their withdrawal from Symbian in favour of alternative platforms including Google's Android, Microsoft's Windows Phone.
Sorry, I don't have any other information sources to dig into.
The most likely outcome of exclusively adopting an OS that's already a proven failure is failure, don't you agree?
I don't know. Maybe, Elop didn't consider Microsoft a failure. Or maybe, he wants to decrease Android's and BlackBerry's market share before introducing a Nokia-made operating system. Either way, Nokia's image as good-hardware-maker remains, especially in sharp contrast with awful software on it. And when Jolla proves itself to be popular-successful enough, Nokia could easily release devices with Sailfish OS - if they wanted to, if Microsoft's software proved itself to be bad enough by then.

I'd say that's the complete opposite of reality, Google allows manufacturer customisations, Microsoft does not. Other manufacturers had already made Windows Phones, the reason they weren't 'ubiquitous' was because the market had already spoken.
Android customised by a manufacturer isn't much different from 'pure' Android - except, 'pure' Android is considered faster, more consistent, more comfortable to use. Everybody has an Android, or a friend using Android. However, I have seen Windows Phone only inside a store - I don't know any person who uses Windows Phone. Windows Phone is a 'rarity', people can walk into store to take a look at Lumia just like they walk into a zoo to take a look at a three-eyed lizard.
Yes, their market share is low because people know how uncomfortable-to-use Microsoft's software is.
Whose Windows Phones 'stand out' to you?
The large blue ones? Honestly, they are all thin fragile tablets-bricks with non-removable batteries.
Look up IS12T, the first waterproof Windows Phone and also the first to feature a 13.2 Megapixel camera.
Best wishes.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Fartyom, read again. I never mention iOS7.
Lameiaman, i never said you mentioned it here.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
After some time ago i re-read Elop's memo, it made almost perfect sense to me. Who still thinks it's pure bullcrap?

His assessments to Nokia's situation were spot-on.

Only the reaction that came to light afterwards (to go with WP) was what let the steamliner hit the iceberg.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
But do the EACD, who gave the award, really believe that Elop "always puts his employees and customers opinions first"?
First, first to burn. Thousands of Nokia employees, millions of Symbian, Maemo and MeeGo users.

This awards IMHO shows the decadence of Europe.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
After some time ago i re-read Elop's memo, it made almost perfect sense to me. Who still thinks it's pure bullcrap?
Me, I think it was utter bullcrap. It was a justification press release for the announcement that was to follow...

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Only the reaction that came to light afterwards (to go with WP) was what let the steamliner hit the iceberg.
Yes, that one.

The former was inextricably linked to the latter, he had to be wildly melodramatic about NOKIA's current position in order to make a new strategy that had a very high likelihood of failure (i.e adopting Windows Phone) seem somehow better than the path they were already on.

You have to be extraordinarily gullible not to see through it. I knew he was a charlatan and what was about to happen the moment the 'burning platforms' memo was 'leaked'.

Don't forget we also had all the p155 and wind about Qt and 'the next billion' and MeeGo being part of the 'next disruption'. That was utter bullcrap too, he already knew he was going to shaft both on Microsoft's behalf, that just wasn't the appropriate moment to execute that particular part of his premeditated plan.

Everything he's said and done was to benefit Microsoft, even to the point of sabotaging the feature phone division. How could it make sense to kill Meltimi and leave the Ashas stranded on Series 40 / J2ME? Because Meltemi may well have proved superior to Windows Phone of course. Microsoft wouldn't like that.

He'd already surrendered NOKIA's smartphone division to Android and now he's doing the same for the feature phone division too.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Jukka Eklund should get an award for this Jolla marketing started last year:

https://twitter.com/jukkaeklund/stat...25945024425984

fight elop!